1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Defender

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Assass1n, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Assass1n

Assass1n Thread Starter

How do I turn it on? i got to Security and it says Windows Defender is off. When I click Turn on, it says Searching for updated definitions, but it says there are no updates available and then it still says that Windows Defender is off

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

3. southerner60

southerner60

When trying to update Windows Defender, you must make sure that "GET UPDATES FOR MORE PRODUCTS" is not checked on Windows Update. Then it will download your updates.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

You need to be sure the service is on in Services....Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

No only to you want the Windows Defender service on, but you want to have it set to Automatic if you want to have it set to start in the future.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Bob,
    That is what "on" means, though your term may be more illuminating, I doubt seriously many failed to understand what you meant and all these ungrammatical duplicate explanatory posts, are hardly necessary.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

When you look at a service, there are several status and startup types you can have:

They are either Started or not started. There is no on.
    The options for Service status is: Start, Stop, Pause and Resume. Again no on
    To Start a services, you click on the Start button for that service.

Startup type is the one I wanted to make sure was set correctly. The Startup type indicates how a particular service will start, or not start, the next time the computer boots.
    Options here are Automatic, Manual or Disabled and Vista has a new one called Automatic (Delayed Start).

So the important additional part, if you want that service to start automatically and not have to keep starting it manually in the future, is to make sure the Startup type for the service is set to Automatic.

This way, not only is the Service Started for that session, but for the future as well.

8. RCG99

RCG99

I have the exact same problem as the OP.
    Security *says* that Defender is OFF, but it does in fact work and does a daily scan. If I click on Turn On Now it goes away and checks for an update, tells me it's up to date, but still shows OFF.
    In Services it is set to Automatic.
    I have downloaded the Defender installation file but Vista won't let me load it - says it's already installed as part of Vista.
    Although it is working, I would like to clear the false indication.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice