1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows defender

Discussion in 'General Security' started by sstocchi, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sstocchi

sstocchi Thread Starter

I'm trying to turn on windows defender and when i do i'm getting messege this program is turned off. When i try to turn it on I get a messege program is blocked by group policy..any ideas?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Windows Defender is crap and unfortunately can't be uninstalled in Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Much better programs for combating spyware and malware are SUPERAntiSpyware 4.47.0.1000 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100. Install and use them both.

What are you using for a full-time antivirus program?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Many av solutions turn off windows defender ...this may be what is going on..as stated above it is not a good tool for protection anyway /and should not be turned on if you have other real time protection

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

While I think that Windows Defender is one of the worst antimalware products around, the fact that you can't turn it on is likely to be indicative of a malware infection. If you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, Defender should be disabled automatically when MSE installs, and you shouldn't be able to restart it.

5. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

That's true, but you can disable Defender in both OS. And I would most certainly agree that's a good idea.

6. arrowhire

arrowhire

Is there a free option to Norton 360 out there which is just as or more protective ?

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

For free I recommend Comodo....their AV wasnt to great in the past but is top notch as of current

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice