Windows Desktop Search opens files automatically!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jjb1776

XP SP2:

I LOVE Windows Desktop Search 3.01 except for ONE feature that renders it all useless and sends me back to Copernic:

When I highlight an item (Word, PDF, htm) it automatically opens with the associated program (Word, Adobe, IE). This is driving me crazy. Doesn't seem to happen with Powerpoint but what use is a search engine that is constantly opening up files that you are "previewing" and searching????????

Is this a bug or a "feature." Please tell me it isn't one of those Microsoft "features" that is "good for you" (i.e., they will never get rid of it). If it is a feature, is there any way to turn it off.

This happens on my two newest computers (Gateway, Compaq) but not on my old Dell (also XP SP2). It has to be some setting but the option settings on WDS 3.01 are extremely limited.

I keep trying to believe that one day Microsoft programs "will just work" like the native ones on Mac but I've been waiting since 1989. I envy Mac people who don't have to search for third-party apps to fill in all the gaps, then worry about incompatibilities. I'll give this forum another week and then I'll scrap WDS (again) for Copernic. Sigh.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online