1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows detected a hard disk problem? HELP PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lind25, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lind25

lind25 Thread Starter

First,I'm on this form from my cell phone because right now i don't have internet access to my computer. Please keep that in mind. Anyway, i just got given to me (free) this Gateway laptop that had Windows 7 put in it and extra memory. I guess it was working for a while and then started messing up. The kid that had it knew nothing about them.so of course it was never fixed. I an willing to delete everything i don't care to save any files.i wanted to know if i could take it back to factory? Or what will save thus laptop? Can it be saved at all? What can i do? The message on it is saying "Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contract the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk" it runs very very slow btw. I downloaded HDTUNE and it is running a full scan right now.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First thing I would do would be to download the drive maker's diagnostic. You get this from whomever made the drive ie WD, seagate, etc. Most have a dos or boot version; get that one. It should be in iso format so you can burn it to a CD and boot the system from the CD. Do the full or long test of the drive.

If the drive passes the test, then you can attempt to install windows on the drive. Note you need a full MS install disk to clean install windows.
    Since this system had win7 installed, it may or may not be able to be recovered to the original os. It depends on whether or not the hidden or recovery partition is still there.

3. lind25

lind25 Thread Starter

where do i find this at? is it in the device manager?

4. lind25

lind25 Thread Starter

oh and btw. this laptop used to another windows in it and a friend of my friend put windows 7 in it. i dont really care if it has to go back to the old windows. he also put more memory into it too. i am now on my desktop and im able to download things onto the laptop with the disk problem. so if i have to download something now i can. It's also very very slow!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you mean who mfg the drive, yes that is one way. Another is to pull the drive out and look at it; the mfg will be on the label. You can also look in the bios; the drive should have an ID associated with it in the bios.

6. lind25

lind25 Thread Starter

what would i look under in the device manager? i have a little idea of what i'm doing but not much LOL. Sorry:eek::confused:

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    In the device mgr look under disk drives the harddrive should be listed and the name of who made it for example mine says WDC WD3200 etc which tells me its a western digital 320gb harddrive.

8. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Thats for finding things in the windows xp device mgr.Im sure on Windows 7 the process is pretty much the same as to finding the info that you need.

9. lind25

lind25 Thread Starter

thank u so much :). gonna look now

10. lind25

lind25 Thread Starter

it says HTS421210H9AT00 ATA Device. have no idea what that would be..

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im going to guess that its a SATA drive and the HTS refers to it possibly being an Hitachi brand harddrive if im decyphering it correctly.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice