1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows detected a hard disk problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sahil_2220, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sahil_2220

sahil_2220 Thread Starter

I was using xp sp3. I had 7200 rpm seagate 160gb hdd (ide) with 4 partitions. i had my os loaded in d drive. then i added 500 gb sata (seagate) hdd. i created one 45 gb ntfs partition on the 500 gb hdd through the disk manager provided with xp. when at some later date i tried to create more partitions it DID NOT ALLOW to create any more partitions in the unused space. i than used partition magic to created more partions into the 500 gb hdd.

i tried to install windows 7 as a dual boot into one of the partitions with 46.5 gb space. it warned that windows could not be installed in this partitions. but when i clicked next it did install win 7 ultimate in to that partition.

now every few minutes a error message popps up warning that the disk is going to fail. the partitions has been made about 2 months back, and win 7 has been installed yesterday.

I would like to know
    1. why was xp unable to add more partitions in the 500 gb sata hdd?
    2. is there really some chances to fail as the warning depicts?
    3. is there any method to stop the warnings from popping up even though there could be real danger of disk failure?
    4. what is the actual problem and is there any solution to this problem?
    5. has anybody faced such a problem?

i have put a picture of the warning that i am receiving from windows 7.
    please reply if anybody could help.

[​IMG]

2. bzerph

bzerph

how are the hard drives configured? is it a master/slave configuration or are your running a RAID? If it is a RAID then what type?

3. sahil_2220

they are master slave.

the ide hdd is as master and the sata hdd is a slave.

I tried to install os just with a single hdd ie the sata one alone, then also the warning came.

But luckily the nagging warning has stopped popping up because some time back it gave an option to choose, so the warning will never come again.

that apart the problem in still there ..........the question is what led to that warning!!!!!

4. bzerph

bzerph

maybe its an issue with hard drives being 2 different types? not really sure on this issue

5. Hughv

Hughv

6. sahil_2220

as i was using the sata hdd with windows xp i configured it to run as legacy, from the boot. as this was the easiest solution that i could find, to make my xp setup cd see the hdd during installation( as far as i remember). after that i havent changed the bios settings. i will check my bios when i restart my system.

i am downloading the diagonistic tool from seagate. i will come back with the report of the tool

7. sahil_2220

it seems a big catastrophe is waiting to happen. one point which i did not mention earlier that though the hdd was meant to be 500gb in actual its capacity is about 465 gb (as per win 7 disk manager). i ignored this fact because i found most the hdd to show less capacity than what they actually claim for.

the sea tools for windows scanned my system and found out three hard disks. (amazingly)
    where did the third hdd came from ? i ran the different tests. on all the long and short DST tests failed on two drives. there drives i presume to be the same sata drive as the serials are same.

the tool is not giving any reason for the failures. probably i now need to run the sea tools for dos.
    googleing for my problem in some forums some suggested spinrite, but i would like to know if there is any window based tools which at least should give the erros, like bad sector or corrupt bootrecord etc....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Hughv

Hughv

Run chkdsk /r on this drive.
    If that doesn't fix it, check the warranty or just replace it.

9. Jbirk

Jbirk

Looks to me like you need to replace the drives; since, there is a problem related to the disk itself not the file system.

10. sahil_2220

it is a new hdd. chkdsk gives no errors.

11. Jbirk

Jbirk

You will probably want to contact Seagate then and read them the error messages in their diagnostics program(s). Long DST Fail usually means the drive failed the test and should be replaced, but if it is a new drive...

Chkdsk is not reliable for checking a physical disk; it is only good for checking a logical NTFS filesystem.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/954367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice