1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows detected a hard disk problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ryukai, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ryukai

Ryukai Thread Starter

Recently put together a new PC and the hard drive in it is a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black and I'm getting this error message in Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) saying "Windows detected a hard disk problem". It asks me to back up all my files then repair or replace the disk. I don't have anything worth backing up on it yet, so I ran chkdsk which took a while but once it booted up again it gave me the same error message.

So has the drive gone bad already? Should I just replace it as I assume it's still under warranty? Or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance. Let me know of any more information you need...

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It would help to know the manufacturer and model of the Hard drive and for that matter your computer.

3. Ryukai

Ryukai Thread Starter

As I said its a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black drive. The exact model number is:

WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 ATA Device

I put the computer together myself but the specs are:

Mobo: MSI P67A-GD65
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k
    RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333mhz
    GPU: XFX Radeon HD6950

And then the hard drive in question.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Sorry must have spaced out for a moment on the Manufacturer. You can download Data Lifeguard from the WDC website and test the drive.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. Ryukai

Ryukai Thread Starter

Okay I ran the quick test and the extended test and both failed to complete. The quick test didn't say why, but the extended test said "too many bad sectors".

On the main screen, it says fail under "Smart Status" and bringing up the SMART disk info shows this screen:

[​IMG]

So what does this mean?

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would return it under warranty for a replacement.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice