1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows detects the wrong network card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sleno, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sleno

sleno Thread Starter

Hi there,

I am having some strange issues regarding my ethernet network adapter. I run a windows 7 x64 and I am currently running a Intel (r) 82579V gigabit network adapter. The thing is, the driver was made for 82579LM and V versions. Most of the time, my computer reads the adapter as the LM version, in which the ethernet just won't work. Once in a while it gets the V version and everything is alright, but i can't live with such uncertainty. Mostly people suggest i should just buy a new motherboard (?) or a new network adapter, but i'm sure it's a software problem. Shouldn't there be other solutions? The card itself is integrated.

If you guys need anymore info, please feel free to let me know. I am really desperate to get this solved!

Thanks in advance.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  3. sleno

sleno Thread Starter

done that. the driver is made for 2 chipsets. LM and V. and my com is recognizing the wrong one

4. btop

btop Guest

Is your motherboard OEM, or did you buy it aftermarket and install it yourself? Intel states that those provided in that archive are generic, and that you should use the ones provided by your OEM.

5. sleno

sleno Thread Starter

yes. oem. tried with drivers from cd. getting same results

6. btop

btop Guest

How old is your computer?

7. sleno

sleno Thread Starter

5 months old

8. btop

btop Guest

Then it should still be under warranty. Have you contacted the OEM for support with their product?

9. sleno

sleno Thread Starter

not yet. since 0900 numbers are expensive. i thought i'd check out techforums first. in addition that u guys will always have way more knowledge about the technicalities

10. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Assuming your computer has an Intel chipset, have you checked the Intel Download Center to see if there's a more current chipset version to download and install?

----------------------------------------------------------------

11. sleno

sleno Thread Starter

Yep. First thing i did. Then the drivers from original cd then basically anything i cud find

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the OEM have a web site? Usually the best place to get such drivers are the manufacturer's web site. Often the latest drivers there contain fixes to whatever was shipped (on the CD). And there may be a way to contact them by email or chat.

13. sleno

sleno Thread Starter

tried that too. i guess last thing is to call them

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1003508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice