1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows didn't detect the USB hard disk ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abudahim, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abudahim

abudahim Thread Starter

on my machine, yes windows xp can detect the Toshiba USB hard disk .

but on my brother dell machine, windows xp couldnt detect it . though its green led is on.

its file system is FAT.

anyone knows why ?
    thanks

2. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

Just gonna take a shot in the dark here. On the system where it isn't working, do you have any mapped network drivers? If so, that is probably the issue. Click start, right click My Computer, select Manage. Scroll down and click Disk Management. Do you see your USB drive in there? If you do, then it is probably sharing a drive letter with another mapped drive. Right click your drive and choose Change Drive Letter. When the next screen comes up, click modify and select a new letter not in use. Hope this helps some.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice