1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows disappear and screen goes black randomly

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by Holly3278, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I have a used Android phone that my boyfriend gave me which has a problem with the screen going black and window disappearing randomly. It happens several times when using it and sometimes it closes to the main screen. I m very inexperienced with Android phones and would greatly appreciate some help in fixing this.

2. TheNext

TheNext

What is the brand and model of the phone? Many Android phones are very different, but the only thing tha I can think of would be a factory reset, that is without knowing anything about what phone it is.

3. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

It is an AT&T Z998.

4. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I think the phone's software such as drivers and firmware need to be updated but I don't know how to do it. I would appreciate help with this. I think it might fix the issue.

5. TheNext

TheNext

Go to settings and scroll all the way to the bottom and tap about phone, then go to software and check what Android version you have

6. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I have Android 4.1.2.

7. TheNext

TheNext

Okay, the first thing to try is a soft reset, it's not guaranteed to fix but I had a similar problem with a Motorola Droid that I had. To soft reset, do the following:
    1. Wait until an app crashes or you see that black screen
    2. Immediately take out the battery (that won't delete everything, just the stuff that would be making the apps crash)
    3. Then wait one minute and reinsert the battery
    Keep me posted,
    TheNext

8. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

I tried the soft reset after it happened and it helped a little. Unfortunately the problem came back after a little while.

9. TheNext

TheNext

Go to settings, storage and clear cache, go to the apps that crash separately and clear cache, and if all else fails, you may be able to try something like a launcher.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Looks like you can update it to KitKat (Android 4.4): http://www.zteusa.com/att-z998

I'd do that along with a factory reset and see how it works.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice