1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows does not properly recognize two burner drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sammyclaws, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammyclaws

sammyclaws Thread Starter

I have two dvd/cd rw drives installed. Both are Sony NEC. They are slightly different in model as one has lightscribe and the other does not. They are both on the same ribbon and both are jumpered "cable select". They are not sata devices (the hard drive is sata). They appear correctly in the hardware display, but only one is displayed when using a right click and the "send to" option. Send to will display [the floppy, one of the burner drives,and the two installed flash drives. If I disable the burner being displayed,the other will display. "Send to" should display both and give me the option to choose. There are other issues with the burner that does not display. If I insert a blank dvd,windows does not recognize the dvd (it will recognize a cd). If I attempt to explore the drive with the blank dvd in place, windows will pop up "you do not have authorization to access this drive" Should I just scrap this mess and load the OS over or what? This is a newly assembled computer and all parts are new. The problem drive functions correctly whe used & a blank dvd is easily recognized by Nero. Nero is configured to allow windows access to all drives & no "auto access" is allowed to the Nero program. I have, in fact, removed nero & have the same issues with windows. I do not want to reinstall the OS and find I have the same problems.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Try jumpering the end one master and the middle one slave and see if that makes any difference?

3. sammyclaws

sammyclaws Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. I have done more research and have found information that indicates windows will only allow burning to ONE drive. You can choose which drive( if you have two burners) via my computer, explore the drive,right click the drive, properties , recording, and select "enable". If you try this on the other drive, it will enable the new and disable the prior. I tried regedit (see Microsoft article 316529) and changed the value data on both drives to 2 & both drives are definitely recognized as recorders, but that doesn't change what happens at the "my computer decision" I believe Windows is not allowing access and not showing the blank DVD, because it can't write to the drive & doesn't want you to attempt to do so. So,I must choose a drive to burn with windows and use that drive for the blanks. "Send to" will be for that drive only. It's a windows thing that cannot be changed. I may be able to allow Nero to auto control and end up better off as nero will allow burning to either . I guess I'll have to try that to find out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice