1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows does not recognize DVD drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rebb66, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebb66

rebb66 Thread Starter

I was trying to back up my files on DVD's using Norton. Got error message that says windows cannot recognize the drive. I went onto Norton's chat room and the tech remotely tried to fix it and said the problem is with windows, not Norton. How do I correct this problem? I wanted to back up all of my files and it the drive cannot be accessed.

Other than that, the drive does play DVD's. It is just the windows interface that is the issue. Help would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to risk losing all of my files.
    Thank you.

2. kniht

kniht

Right click on MyComputer. Select 'Manage'>Disk Management. See if the drive shows up there and assign a drive letter to it.

If that doesn't work right click on My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>Dvd/Cdrom Drives.
    Right click on your drive and choose 'Uninstall'. Restart and let XP reinstall the device.

See if Windows now recognizes the drive.

3. DELLDOCTOS

DELLDOCTOS

Hi, Goto Start -> Run - > type REGEDIT click OK,

select Hkey_Local_Machine -> System -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Class-> {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    in the Right side pane check whether there is any Upperfilter or Lowerfilter
    Delete that. Then
    Right click on Mycomputer -> Manage -> Device manager -> Cd/DVD ROm
    Uninstall that restart the system
    Check whether it is working or not.(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice