1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows does not start or reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lilLB, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilLB

lilLB Thread Starter

my girlfriend recently got some kind of virus so she decided to pop in the windows XP cd and put a fresh install of windows on her computer. When she got to the screen where it asks you if you want to install windows or repair it she chose to install it and then it went no further. She told me she left it there for a long time and it did nothing. When she tried to start the computer without booting from the windows CD it remains on the windows start up screen with the green bar going back and forth.
    If any one has an idea to the nature of her problem please let me know. Thanks a bunch.

2. remaja

remaja

have you tried booting the computer with the Xp cd?

3. lilLB

lilLB Thread Starter

yes she said no matter what she picked it did nothing

4. lilLB

lilLB Thread Starter

ok let me re-explain this...
    when turned on normally the error screen where it tells you theres a problem starting windows comes up where you can choose safe mode, last good configuration, or normally....
    when we choose safe mode a bunch of command lines show up and then it stops and does nothing more
    when we choose to start normally or with the last known good configuration it gets to the black windows start up screen with the green bar and stays there forever....
    so we put the windows xp disc in and boot from it and we get to the screen where it asks if we want to reinstall windows or go to the recovery console...
    either way it says checking 28000 MB on hard disk 0 or something along those lines and stays on that screen forever
    could a virus cause this?
    or is it something else?
    and how can it be fixed?
    any help would be greatly appreciated

5. remaja

remaja

ah that's a lot better

I have faced something similar before but never being stuck while trying to reformat.

I believe (just believe) that the virus could be the cause. but I can't make or give you any solutions as I don't have a yellow shield on my name. something may have gone wrong with boot sectors. but I am really not sure. don't take any of my words seriously.

just hang in there and see if anyone who is more experience comes and gives out a hand.

BTW are you allowed into the BIOS?

6. lilLB

lilLB Thread Starter

well i guess there was some problem with her xp disk because i brought mine over and it worked first try

7. remaja

remaja

LOL

there you go. never even saw that one would appear.

now is your problem solved? you might want to consider about piracy since you OS is only licensed for your computer and not hers

8. lilLB

lilLB Thread Starter

yea thats tru... its fixed for now ill have to see about getting her a new disk of her own so there will not be any piracy issues

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice