1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows doesn't free up space when deleting a file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Smaniac, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smaniac

Smaniac Thread Starter

Hi!

This is my first post here, there seems to be some people here who might be able to help, so I guess it's worth a try.

The problem here is: my Windows XP (with SP1) won't free up space when I delete a file. At first I thought it was a MFT problem with only one of the NTFS partitions, but not much later I found out this is affecting all my 3 partitions, 2 of them are NTFS5 and one is FAT32. So I guess Windows is the problem, it has nothing to do with hardware. I have tried lots of things: scandisk, Win Doctor, chkdisk, virus and spyware check, but they didn't report or fix anything.

If that wasn't weird enough, the free space I had lost due to the problem in one of the partitions came back after a few days. This probably happened for all of them, but I just noticed in one because the wasted space was over 1 GB. Well, the space was back but unfortunately the problem wasn't solved, so I'm still unable to delete files without losing the space.

Just to test, today I tried using the recovery console to delete a file and see what happens, and it works fine, it deletes and recovers the space, yet another proof it has nothing to do with hardware.

The rest of the file system is fine, no data loss, corruption or anything like that.

PS: please avoid messages like: "format your HD" or something like that. I know that would solve the problem but right now I have tons of files I would need to backup and tons of programs I would have to reinstall, so that would be pretty annoying.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

If you have Norton protection in place on your Recycle Bin, you will have to right click the icon, choose "Empty Norton Protected Files", and then "Purge All." I learned this just a few weeks ago.There were Gigs of files on my HD before doing the above.

3. Smaniac

Smaniac Thread Starter

Hmm... you are right, that solved the problem. I didn't realize this only started after I installed NSW. Everything is in order now, I already disabled the protected bin on all the partitions.

Thanks a lot!

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

You are very welcome. This was my first helpful post, repaying for some that have helped me. "One good turn deserves another:" an old adage.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice