1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows doesn't see hard drive, BIOS does

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matchstickredgti, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matchstickredgti

matchstickredgti Thread Starter

Just like the title states, cannot see my second hard drive in Windows, but BIOS sees it.

I've been reading a few remedies, and not sure which would actually work with my situation.

First off, there is not an operating system on the hard drive in question, just files, mostly music and videos. It's an 80gb Western Digital IDE drive. PC is running XP SP3.

One of the first things I tried was buying a USB to IDE cable, but Windows still couldn't see it. I can hear it spinning though, so I know it's getting power. I was also reading how using the fdisk utility could help (not really sure how, all it does it create/delete/move partitions, right?) but I tried it anyways. I made an XP boot disk and copied fdisk.exe on it, but when I boot off it and type 'fdisk.exe' from the Command Prompt, it tells me I'm using an incorrect version of DOS.

I also read the possibility of using a program to repair my master boot record. Now, would that even affect my hard drive since there isn't an OS on it? Or is this on every hard drive, regardless if there's an OS or not?

Do I have any other options to recover the data? Besides paying costly amounts and sending it off somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Forget about FDISK. Does the drive show up in Disk Management? See here how to access Disk Management: http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm Don't do anything with Disk Management other then see if it shows the hard drive and what it says about it.

3. matchstickredgti

Thanks for the reply. I went into disk management and it only sees my primary drive. Do not see the 80gb drive.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

Try a different IDE cable and make sure the jumpers are set properly.

5. matchstickredgti

I've already tried a few different ribbon cables, and the jumper is set to slave

6. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

I'll be honest...It's not looking too good. You might have some luck viewing files on the drive with a Linux Live CD.

Like this one...

http://www.puppylinux.com/download/index.html

TSG stresses the importance of data backups for just this reason.

8. matchstickredgti

I'll give the drive diagnostics a shot. Haven't tried on another computer because I don't have access to one at the moment. And yeah, I've also tried to see if it works in Linux, since I'm dual booting, but no success there either.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000889