1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows doesn't start when installing HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_Nation, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M_Nation

M_Nation Thread Starter

Well just recently I went to install a CD/DVD drive, and the previos configuratoin was as follows:
    40 gb HDD secondary IDE channel Master
    160 gb HDD primary IDE channel master
    ATI Radeon 3870
    Pentium D 3.0 ghz
    1.5 gb RAM
    630 watt PSU
    Vista home basic 64bit on my 40 GB HDD

then i hooked up my CD/DVD drive and the configuration was exactly the same but my CD DVD drive was in slave spot under my 160 GB HDD, i started the comp and the drive was not detected, and windows did not start, when i got past the bios screen, my light that shows my hard drive is working was constantly on and nothing was happening. so i removed the CD/DVD drive and got the same result. and after trying many configurations and attemtps to fix it i reinstalled windows vista 32bit. and i re plugged my 160 GB HDD, when windows went to start, it took a little longer than normal to begin loading windows, then it took 6 or 7 minutes before the loading bar dissapeared, but then i got a black screen and nothing, and again the hard drive light was constantly on. so i turned it off and unplugged the data cable and retried many times and have had no success. I really don't know what is going on, before it stopped working i had used it literally 5 minutes before. any suggestions would be much appreciated :) thanks for the help

Edit: also the drive that vista is now on is my 40 GB HDD and the 160 GB HDD is the one that is having the problems. Also i have tested this HDD in another computer and recieved the same result, except on his computer windows did not even begin to load

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice