1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Dreaming in Broadband

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dinky One, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinky One

Dinky One Thread Starter

Hi,

I have been looking at a friend's computer which was previously connected by broadband. We plugged in a functioning connector cable to a built-in Lan connection and were a bit perplexed as to why we couldn't surf the net. The computer was showing a 400mps connection with no data exchange.

So I deleted the lan drivers and let Windows reinstall these... Same situation was exhibited, a 400mps connection with no data exchange.

That's when I pulled the lan cable from the computer. And Windows says.... a 400mps connection with no data exchange.

Hmmm.

The connection which was existing through which this phantom exchange is taking place calls itself a 1392. If one attempts to install a new broadband connection, WIndows does it's idiot routine and says a broadband connection already exists so that a new one cannot be installed. Of course after that message, one attempts to delete the old connection, and you guessed it... It cannot be deleted.

Hello, Windows hell.

This is a Windows XP Sp3 system. My only thought is that I have seen this person attempt to install some questionable software in the past and to wonder if this is causing Windows to show a fake connection. I'll never know about that. Just for the record, this computer was actually using a broadband connection in the past without a problem. Malwarebytes is installed but cannot be updated as well as Avast Personal Anti-virus (same update status) and it cannot be updated because we have no internet connection... that too, for the record.

Any ideas? How to I get this system to touch ground again? Or will it be necessary to knock it on the head by formatting the drive and starting over again?

Thanks for your attention.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Is that actually 1394 Connection?
    That's your Firewire connection, has nothing to do with your Ethernet connection.
    What does Device Manager show under Network Adapters?
    Does it show any devices with a Red X, Yellow Exclamation mark, or yellow Question mark, in particular anything saying PCI Ethernect Controller?

To access Device Manager:
    Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type devmgmt.msc, press Enter

3. Dinky One

Dinky One Thread Starter

Hi,

That's good to know. There are no connections marked out with a red X (etc). There are no other active connections. Worse... there is nothing connected to this computer by firewire.

There is some addtional information that I believe I now need to post in regards to this problem. There is another type of high speed connection (could be a configuration related to a past Road Runner service) which is not being utilized but I will have to get new access to that computer to add that to this post. I'll be back later.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice