1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows dual booting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Timothy j, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timothy j

Timothy j Thread Starter

hey guys, Im upgrading a computer, went to 1gig proc, new motherboard, ram, etc.. I put in a 60 gig HD and have a 8gig also. the 60 will have win2000 installed on it, the 8 has 2000 already installed, do I have to redo the 8 gig as win 95 or 98 in order to set it up as dual boot? and how do I set it up for dual boot, I cant remember .... please help!!!!

2. cfreyman

cfreyman

If you already have 98 on one of the drives its really easy....just boot to win98 then put the windows 2000 cd in....when it asks if you want a clean instal or just to upgrade...select clean install...this will give you the dual boot option when the machine starts

3. Timothy j

Timothy j Thread Starter

hi, just so I know we are on the same page.. I dont have 98 on the 8 gig drive, it has 2000. if I put 98 on it, are you saying, then insert the 2000 and install?

I want to have 2 hard drives to boot from, 1- 2000 1- 98 or whatever.. will the clean install like you mentioned give me the choice to install it to another drive?

thanks for replying,

4. cfreyman

cfreyman

yeah....on my machine i dual boot between 98 and 2K....but i only have one drive....i partitioned it to a C and a D....all of the 98 system files i put on the C drive, and all of the 2000 system files i put on the d drive.....so i dont see how it would be any different if you had 2 physical drives rather than a logical drive....i would put 98 on your box first...(just set it up like you normally would)....then when 98 is up, put the windows 2000 disk in, do a CLEAN INSTALL but when you are given the option, just change the path for the WINNT folder to the D drive....you should be good, i hope im not confusing you, its really a simple procedure...let me know if i have though

5. Timothy j

Timothy j Thread Starter

sounds good, your not confusing me, I think Im confusing myself! I will load 98 on the 8 gig and then try it...I'll let you know..

thanks

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/57300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice