1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows DVD Maker

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by encore160, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. encore160

encore160 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2941 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 293829 MB, Free - 199631 MB; D: Total - 11413 MB, Free - 1213 MB; G: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 475764 MB;
    Motherboard: OEM_MB, IVY8
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated and Enabled

I am attempting to burn a dvd with Windows DVD Maker. I have made several attempts over the last couple of weeks and I get this message; "Cannot create the DVD. An error occurred when burning the DVD." Is there any way of updating this program, or replacing it?

2. stantley

stantley

Try burning a DVD with CDBurnerXP. If you're trying to burn a regular video DVD, first click on "Data Disc", then on File > Video DVD layout.

If you still have problems buy some new DVD blanks. Get Verbatim discs if you can find them in a store or order them off the internet.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Try Here .. and good luck.
    The last time I updated WMM & WDVDM .. it quit working and I had to revert back to an older version.
    Since this one isn't for W7 .. your chances might be good

4. encore160

encore160 Thread Starter

I downloaded this program but I do not get the DVD Layout option that you talked about. Thank you for your attempt to help me.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm not sure about Vista .. I'm using W7's DVD Maker.
    I upgraded W7's DVD maker to WMM 2012 .. and it quit working.
    luckily, I was able to revert back to a version that works.
    I've found out that Windows DVD maker is not in W8 .. And I can't find out how to put it in my W8 pro.
    The moral of this story ... Maybe it's time to look for another DVD authoring program and not depend on M$.

Some Freeware Suggestions
    I've played with DVD Styler and it works, I just wish it was as easy as what M$ used to be.

6. stantley

stantley

I had an older version of CDBurnerXP and that's where the video option used to be. So I downloaded the latest version and now the video option is on the first screen that comes up when you start the program.

Under Data disc it says Video DVD, use that option.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Did it come with the "optional" spam/advertising program Open Candy ???

More info Here

8. stantley

stantley

Yes, it does come with OpenCandy which I don't consider much of a big deal, it's just adware.

But if don't want OpenCandy, move the CDBurnerXP install program to C:\ and then go to Run and type in:

C:\cdbxp_setup_4.5.0.3717.exe /nocandy

That installs CDBurnerXP without OpenCandy.

9. encore160

encore160 Thread Starter

I would love to get away from MS. I will see if I can find another program. Thank you.

10. stantley

stantley

If you're looking for a DVD authoring program try DVD Flick. There are some other suggestions here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd?orderby=Rating

If you're going to be creating a lot of DVD's I would consider buying some software. I use DVD MovieFactory which is easy to use and works well. Most of the paid programs have trial versions so you can try them out before buying.

I would also get a paid program if you plan to burn Blu-ray discs.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Another Freeware suggestion source ... I'm seeing many suggestions for using DVD Styler since W8 does not have Win DVD maker anymore

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice