1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Easy Transfer XP=>7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tem519, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tem519

tem519 Thread Starter

I'm trying to transfer settings, files and bookmarks from an XP machine to a new Windows 7 machine.

I got the transfer key from the old computer and entered it into the new computer to start the transfer over the network.

The transfer started and it says it will take over a day to completer.

I was expecting somewhere along the line to be able to select which files and settings to transfer. I never saw anything like that.

1.- Can I stop the transfer and start again?

2. If yes, how do I get to where I can select what to transfer?

TIA

2. DerekC

DerekC

Welcome to TSG, tem519.

I wouldn't suggest stopping and starting, mid transfer.

But if you run it again in the future, on the first screen click next, then choose new or old computer, after that you choose what type of transfer connection you going to use, on the next screen it goes through and scans all the users on the computer. If you want to choose files and settings, don't click next. Scroll down through the users until you reach Shared Items. Click the Customize button below it, than advanced. This will give you the options you are looking for.

3. tem519

tem519 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
    It's my wifes Dell computer and I called Dell support and they said I could cancel it, but, that it would include all the files, etc. that had been copied up to the time I canceled it.

I did manage to transfer a lot of clutter that I didn't want. I started it again, this time using custom/advanced.

I just selected the favorites, pictures and a couple other files from user. I don't recall what all I selected for shared files, but, as I recall it was only the stuff that wasn't identified. The shared files transfer was huge. It will take over a day.

I'm not really sure what the shared files are and if it they even need to be transferred. What are they? Why are they so big?

I'm sort of thinking of doing a restore to the point prior to the first transfer and then starting over with only selected files/folders transferred.

4. DerekC

DerekC

According to MS's website, the program transfers the following

5. tem519

tem519 Thread Starter

I still don't know what the shared folders are. In the text above it says shared document folders. I don't know what this means.

Easy Transfer was running last night and it originally estimated that it would be done today. Later last night the estimate was up to 44 days so I canceled the program.

Basically all I want to transfer are bookmarks for the browser and some folders with some pictures.

I tried exporting the bookmarks but ie on the new computer ie would't import them.

Actually, I found out that the import feature is more for importing bookmarks from a browser from a different company. It looks like all I have to do is copy everything from username/Favorites folder into the same place on the new system.

Then I just have to poke around and copy the pictures and other folders that have things I want.

Isn't this all I have to do? and Easy Transfer only made it more complicated for me?

6. DerekC

DerekC

Backing up what you want is all you need (bookmarks, pictures, etc), and you are correct, it is just copying them from the old locations to the new ones on the new computer.

The transfer tool is for migrating all your settings, backgrounds, personalizations, installed printers, program settings (although said programs might not work on the new system), so yeah, it's probably more then you need.

7. gurutech

gurutech

It also copies/migrates temporary internet files and downloaded files from the internet (in your "Downloads" folder), so if you have a ton of stuff there, it will take a long time to migrate.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice