1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Encrypted File

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ygeek, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ygeek

ygeek Thread Starter

My power supply went last week its covered under warranty but the guy from sony won't be here till tuesday so untill then i want to be able to access my files. So i hooked my hard drive in to another computer and it was immidiately recognized as a secnd hard drive... so far so good . But whae i tried accessing the My Documents folder it didn't let me because i have my files protected.

I made a user- account with the same user name and password ... didn't work

i tried booting off MY hard drive but windows wouldn't let me log in because of the licence

Anybody have a workaround for me?

2. ygeek

ygeek Thread Starter

I did it!
    i booted with a live linux cd and was ableto see my files imidiately no password nothing. A lot of good windows encryption does!:D :D :D

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I have serious doubts that you used Windows Encrypted File System and were able to read the files using Linux. There is no known workaround for encrypted files.

4. ygeek

ygeek Thread Starter

Maybe You're right I'll check as soon as my computer is up and running again. One thing seems wierd though.. If the files aren't encrypted then why could i not read those files when it was connected as a secondd hard drive?

5. bbearren

bbearren

Could be an ownership issue if it's NTFS.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's either an ownership issue or you used a third-party utility to "encrypt" the files which was ineffective. I'd lean more toward an ownership issue.

7. ygeek

ygeek Thread Starter

Wouldn't logging in with the same username and password take care of an ownership issue?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No because you didn't use the same account. You used a different account with the same user name and password. Accounts have unique identifiers. Even if you deleted an account and then re-created it on the same system using the same name and password, the system still wouldn't recognize it as being identical.

9. TikkiRo

TikkiRo

I've run into the same sort of problem after stupidly reinstalling Windows before remembering to back up the entire contents of an encrypted folder which I now desperately need into, but am having no success. Wouldn't mind only I obviously can't even move the files or do anything with them to get them off the partition they're on. Is there seriously NO workround this one?? Very poor if so, given the ease with which you can put the encryption on - it didn't even give me a warning or help before I applied it to the files (to my knowledge), so makes for a tough life for many I suspect if you then have no mission of recovering those files regardless of reinstallation and Admin privileges etc. It appears to give the impression I can set up another user certificate for access - anyone any idea how I'd go about that to try maybe??:confused:

Should clarify - I've already tried using safe mode to change ownerships and while it appeared to work it didn't make any difference either.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, there is no way to recovery encrypted files. It's not poor design. It's highly secure. It's also only available on Windows XP Pro not Home which should limit the number of people who accidentally enable it. Good thing about Vista is that it's not included in the Home versions of the OS.

11. TikkiRo

TikkiRo

Oh heck - now I'm in deep doo-doo and whatever else - but I suppose the only way I can look at this, is at least I haven't had my PC stolen or I'd have lost a lot more than the contents of one folder, but it just had to be my most vital one - hence the encryption because I'm on a network and wanted to ensure its security, but to be locked out of the folder myself is just more than I can handle right now.

Away to down a bottle of pills :) - happy ones - maybe sort out the gloom I'm feeing on it! Still think it's overkill that a reinstall kills all hope of recovery without anything being put up to you to back up the certificates (which I've only found out about!) or whatever.

Sorry - know it's not your problem, and do appreciate your input, just wish you'd better info for me :mad: :(

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice