1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows Error 0x00000e9

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Fawnfire, Aug 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fawnfire

Fawnfire Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to the forums and am looking for some help with an issue I've been having with my laptop. I have an Acer E5, with a Samsung Evo Solid State Drive. I think the processor is an Intel i7, and I'm running Windows 10 on it.

Yesterday, the first time I went to use the computer, I got a blue screen of death when it was booting and the windows error 0x00000e9. It also cites file: \windows\system32\winload.efi

I've had this computer for a few years, and it has had this same error code two separate times. The first time it was fixed by a local computer repair store who said the issue was with Windows (it had become corrupt apparently). The second time, they said my hard drive was fried (due to overheating) and they replaced the damaged part.

I don't think it overheated this time, and I really don't want to shell out another $200 dollars for someone to reinstall windows for me. I was wondering if there was a way I could fix this myself? Preferably without losing the data on the hard drive. I have photos from my brother's wedding saved to it!

I've given LazeSoft a try so far, but the USB gets stuck at an error screen with the same information above and won't open the program. I also tried booting Linux from a USB, but the computer doesn't read that there is anything on the USB and just gets stuck at the error screen again.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

This is a hardware error and may indicate a failing SSD. However, I cannot states this authoritatively, given what you've written. Do you have a recovery disc for the OS?

Are you sure it didn't read anything, or did you forget to change the boot order and make the flash drive first instead of the SSD?

3. Fawnfire

Fawnfire Thread Starter

I put the flash drive at the top of the boot order, but it still wasn't working. I actually just went in and changed the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy. That allowed Linux to boot, but it just keeps crashing before I can do anything.

I also don't have a recover disc, I didn't get one with this laptop. I've Googled around and supposedly you can restore windows by hitting Alt + F10 during the boot process, and this will reinstall windows. It will wipe your computer though, which is something I don't want to do until I've been able to get in and save my files to an external drive.

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

So, what happened at the juncture when Linux was crashing? Any specific messages?

5. Fawnfire

Fawnfire Thread Starter

Lots of grey text on a background, lol. It looked like it was searching for a file, couldn't find it, then just sat at a black screen.

EDIT: I tried with a different version of Linux loaded onto the USB. Still not working. Gets stuck at a similar screen. Could this mean the hard drive is toast?

I also went ahead and tried the Alt + F10 key to see what if any, were my options for restoring the computer to factory settings. This doesn't work at all, just sends the computer to the same blue error screen.

EDIT Part 2: Okay, so we might be in business now! I tried a few different versions of Linux, and was able to get Ubuntu to work. I can get to the desktop, but I can't open a web browser page or connect to the internet. No other applications open when clicked. Is this normal? I've never installed anything from a USB before.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

So, did you install Ubuntu successfully on the SSD? If so, I would use that to back up your personal files as quickly as possible, since there may still be an issue.

7. jenae

jenae

Hi,
    Quote:-
    "The second time, they said my hard drive was fried (due to overheating) and they replaced the damaged part".

Does this mean they installed a new HDD, you cannot repair an SSD if it is "fried" so if it was replaced, how long ago? May still be under warranty.

This error also references winload.efi, this is a problem with the bootmgr, usually caused by removing a device without using the safely remove option.

The error 0x00000e9 is a generic error code and in previous versions it often indicated a HDD problem, however not so with the winload.efi error, this indicates a boot problem. So at this stage I would not go mucking about too much with ubuntu, unless it is of course to save your data.

Have you access to another computer, you need to download the MS media creation tool, this will allow you to boot from it and access the RE (recovery option) here you can repair the boot loader.

it is also possible to use the bcdboot util that is located on the System reserved partition, we need to use diskpart cmd's for this.

Post back and let us know if you can download the media creation tool from MS, you need a flash drive with more then 8 gb's for this, nothing else on the drive, I use a 16gb. We can then advise you further.

8. Fawnfire

Fawnfire Thread Starter

Ubuntu was a bust, it kept freezing. I tried again with Lubuntu and was able to get the data that was showing on the hard drive off of it. There might have been some pictures that were missing or deleted, but I got all that was there for me to retrieve.

I'm working on loading the USB now with the Microsoft Media tool. Anyone know how to tell if my computer is 32 bit or 64 bit? Does it matter if I recovery windows with the wrong one?

And yes, the hard drive was replaced. i had it done by a computer shop but they are closed today so I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

EDIT: Does anyone know where in the Windows files I can find a copy of my product key? I think this is needed to use the Microsoft Media tool. I've clicked around looking for it, but I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  9. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Your computerr is not either, that only refers to which software version 32 or 64bit. I recommend the 64 bit unless it is an older system.

You should not need your product key since Windows 10was already installed on your system. The key is embedded into the system once installed. Select I do not have a product key and continue.

How to Clean install Windows 10 from USB
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/clean-install-windows-10

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    dckeks,

11. jenae

jenae

Hi, while a clean install is the best way to rejuvenate a computer, it is not what I had in mind. The media creation tool allows you to boot from the USB (you created), and instead of choosing the installation, you choose the option to "repair your computer" this opens the windows RE (recovery environment) from here we can open cmd prompt and run some cmd's to repair your boot loader.

Post back what your preferences are.

Edit:- Since you seem confused, and you will need to dowwnload the right version from MS media creation tool, OS download, 32 or 64 bit.
    To find your system Architecture, press the win +x keys together, from the options select Powershell(admin) copy this cmd into the prompt:-

wmic OS get OSArchitecture (press enter) will tell you if your system is 32 or 64 bit.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  12. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Thanks DaveA,

I was on vacation all week and it seems my mind still is too.

13. Fawnfire

Fawnfire Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I dropped off the face of the earth there for a few days. I'm a teacher and our first week of school is always hectic.

Anyways, I've got the media installation tool up and running, but the repair option does not work. I tried resetting, but there literally is no option to reset. Also, the link provided shows a completely different window than what appears when I boot the Windows Media Installation.

There is an option to just install Windows, but it doesn't work. I get a window telling me how to upgrade to Windows 10 after booting up normally. I've also tried installing manually, but it asks for which partition to install on and I'm not sure where Windows belongs.

Could I have the wrong version of Windows? I honestly don't know if I had 8.1 or 10 at this point. I could've sworn it was ten, but I've had my computer for a couple years, I could be wrong.

14. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Do you know how to open a command prompt? If so, do that, type in winver, and then hit the Enter key. This will open up a dialogue box giving you information on the version of Windows installed.

15. Fawnfire

Fawnfire Thread Starter

Okay I gave that a shot. It says winver is not recognized as an internal or external command, but at the top of the prompt it says "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.112]"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213992

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice