1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows error message says " your hard disk is at risk"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by medha27, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. medha27

medha27 Thread Starter

My laptop is getting really slow and i cant use browser as it gets slower and hangs a lot. What do i do ?

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

in "computer" right click on the hdd and click properties read the free and used space on the disk.
    If the free if the free space on the disk is 20% or less the drive is just about full capacity

3. medha27

medha27 Thread Starter

no actually its more than 20% . total space is 159 gb and free space is 60 gb . should i go for the clean up .? or there could be any other problem cz of which my laptop is slowing down .

4. medha27

medha27 Thread Starter

My system is shutting down on its own . i am enclosing two snapshots. Wireless network driver has stopped working. Pls look into it asap .

Attached Files:

• hd.png
      hd.png
      File size:
      35.6 KB
      Views:
    • hd1.png
      hd1.png
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
  5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that laptop?

If it's running slow and shutting down on its own, it may have a overheating issue.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. medha27

medha27 Thread Starter

Its dell inspiron N5010
    And reg model no is P10f

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Submit a screenshot image of the My Computer "General" tab window so we can see the processor and RAM information.

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that laptop?

------------------------------------------------------------

Your first screenshot image in post #4 is an indication the hard drive is dying and will need to be replaced.

If that laptop is more than 3 - 4 years old and is used regularly, that's a very real possibility.

8. medha27

medha27 Thread Starter

Service tag number of my laptop is DV5Y7BS
    and the express service code is 30182615704

Below you can see the snapshot
    ( also i have run sfc /scannow command in cmd and result is : 47% complete windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them . details are included in CBS.log)

As i have told you earlier there is some problem with the driver for the wireless netwoek connection adapter.

Ps: could you please help me out with these problems asap..i can't make backup and i dont want to lose any data .

Attached Files:

• snap.jpg
      snap.jpg
      File size:
      153.5 KB
      Views:
  9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to those numbers, here is the Dell support site that's assigned to your Dell Inspiron 15 (N5010) laptop.

It shipped in January 2011 in India and came with Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit.

According to its original system configuration and filtered drivers list, it has a Dell Wireless WLAN 1501 Half Mini-Card wireless device.

Your system properties screenshot is showing "Not available" for the processor and RAM information, so something is wrong.

10. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

A RAM stick or port may be failing. If you have more than one RAM stick please take all but one out. If the computer doesn't start or beeps at you, move it to the next slot. If it does start see if it's still slow. You can repeat that with each stick and port. Make sure when you remove the RAM to shut down the computer, remove the power cord and touch something metal to get rid of static electricity.

11. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

According to the report on your first post and the screenshot on your fourth post Windows has detected a hard drive problem on your Samsung hard drive - that is the 320GB identified as the Samsung HM321H1.

It appears to be partitioned A and C - A being listed as new volume

I would trust the Windows report - although it MAY be wrong
    I would back up all important data and I would then run a chkdsk /r on both lettered drives
    HOW did you manage to have a partition lettered A and shown as new volume

At this stage and with that report the wireless adapter driver is I can assure you the more minor of the problems - you need urgently to confirm the state of that hard disk

As has been mentioned above - it may be a ram problem

12. medha27

medha27 Thread Starter

Can you please guide me on how to check the problem occuring in my hard disk.

Ps: i am making backup of all important data.

13. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

You can use Seagate Tool, it works with any brand of Hard drive

Download and read the instructions...burn the .iso file to CD...then run the long/extended generic diagnostic, please. Just run the long diagnostic and post the results.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

You'll need to download IMG Burn if you don't already have it. Open it and then find the ISO file, insert a blank disk and choose Burn Image File to Disk then click burn.

14. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you are burning the ISO on 7 it has its own ISO burner - right click the saved iso file and click burn image
    As my colleague says you can use ImgBurn if you are not making it on 7

For a one off ISO burn the free BurnCDCC is small, simple to use and will do the job for you
    https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm

That all said you can if it will run use the standard chkdsk /r
    Windows button
    type in search
    cmd
    when it appears above right click and click run as admin
    at the prompt type
    chkdsk /r
    press enter
    agree to run on restart and do so

Do not interrupt it - it is a five stage check
    On completion if you watch the screen it will tell you if bad sectors have ben found

If you miss that result go Control Panel - Admin tools - event viewer
    click to expand windows logs on left pane
    click application log
    when the log loads click find on right pane
    type in box
    wininit (note spelling)
    click find next
    when it finds the chkdsk - check that it is recent run one
    on right pane click copy as text and paste to reply

All explained here with images
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

you may use either method but if you use the first one from the properties of the drive ensure both boxes are checked - File errors and bad sectors

and here is how to get the results from event viewer

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

Note as explained you type
    wininit
    see item 8 on the above link

YOU have not answered my query - do you know how you have managed to have a NEW volume lettered A
    Have you partitioned the hard drive please

15. medha27

medha27 Thread Starter

Yes i partitioned my hard drive few months back .

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1139253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice