1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows error on boot up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robodoc, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

I'm helping a friend 2000 miles away over the phone. He runs a Dell 4600 2.8GHZ 265DDR (Lightweight) 333FSB Windows XP. When he boots up his desktop displays this message: WINDOWS DESKTOP SEARCH TOOL TRAY ADMIN Has encountered a problem and needs to close. Click here to see what data it contains. When he clicks it the screen try's to come up but is covered by the original error msg. He say's other programs appear to work but are always covered by this error window. He also says there is a box next to his start button that say's "ERROR". The only way he can shut done is to unplug the tower. 2nd question, do Dells boot to Bios via the delete key of do they do it different.
    robodoc

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

Uninstall MSN Toolbar Suite, re-download and install the program while in an account with administrator privileges.

3. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

I assume one would do this through the add/remove function, but no matter what you try to use, the error window stays on top of it making it imposable to operate any other program because you cant see it.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

5. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

When in safe mode, add/ remove, he finds a program called MSN Search Toolbar, is this it?

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Maybe part of it......

Do a search in the root drive for C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar Suite

7. robodoc

robodoc Thread Starter

I spoke with my bud after a short respite and he says he's not sure what he did but it's working. I think he killed the toolbar search item. he said the computer rebooted on it's own and launched the recovery disc in the cd rom drive and went to work on itself for about ten minutes. I don't quite understand how it is all better now when his next statement is "I have one more item to fix." He's recieving this message in safe mode: #Gen_MSN_Search#... Followed by: Were sorry but #Gen_Windows_Desktop_search# has detected a problem with your desktop Index and cannot re-install Gen_MSN_Search#Toolbar I've trained this fellow in all the virus protections, firewalls, adaware, spybot ect. He should be clean. Are we seeing the beginnings of a hardware failure? I advised him to do the search as you recomended, kill the file, reboot and locate the file on the recovery disc and bring it back in. Waiting his further response. Thanks Bonk

8. bonk

bonk Banned

The reason for the message is they haven't completely got rid of the toolbar....I would not bother trying to install it again and would you a Google toolbar.

Try and search for all the files for Toolbar Suite and delete them.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice