1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Error Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by delaneygottron, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. delaneygottron

delaneygottron Thread Starter

I dont now what to do I have tried everything and now to the point where when I turned on my computer I end up at the windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change might be the cause and it says Windows error recovery. Everytime i click either start Windows normally or launch startup repair it will crash and then the same page will pop up if I click start Windows normally the Windows logo will appear for around 10 minutes blue screen and then restart and go through the same cycle again. Is there anything I can do I have already tried starting windows from the last known good configuration and safe mode nothing will start please help thanks.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. delaneygottron

4. Macboatmaster

My apologies I missed that you had already tried that

You have not by any chance been changing any settings in msconfig have you for max mem and processors.

See if you can get to a cmd prompt from F8 on repair your computer

5. delaneygottron

I dont believe I have however I do not doubt that I did at one time.

6. delaneygottron

And I cant get to command prompt from f8. Also I cant from f2 and f12.

7. Macboatmaster

do you have
    repair your computer on F8 menu

8. delaneygottron

Yea but i press it and it just loops back to the menu.

9. Macboatmaster

What is the make and full model of the computer please

Has this occurred without warning or have there been problems leading up to this

All I have to work with is what you tell me, so please try and give me as much information regarding anything relevant as you can

If the computer is a laptop has it had a jolt or knock

Have you recently installed any new hardware or programs etc

10. delaneygottron

The most recent hardware change was a ram upgrade in Nov. 2014. But there were problems leading up to this as well. I have had multiple BSOD in the past but I always restarted and it was fine. I troubleshooted my computer yesterday and the only problem is the hard drive. It has aswell been bumped in the past or jolted I hope that is not the reason. [​IMG]
    Hopefully you can read this pic.

11. delaneygottron

Dell Inspiron N5110

12. Macboatmaster

If that is the 15R - N5110
    here is the service manual
    http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15r-n5110_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

the hard drive cannot be removed until major dismantling is done it requires the system board to be removed. Unlike many laptops where you can remove the hard drive easily from a panel on the base of the laptop

However the memory modules can be easily checked - see section 5 of the manual

With that report I very much doubt it is a ram fault with a memory module not correctly connected

The best advice I can give you is to try if you have not disconnecting battery, disconnect power
    hold down power button for a full 20 seconds
    reconnect mains power and try again

If no good check ram modules - for proper placement - will only apply if it has had knock from when they were inserted and they were not properly clipped in.

Other than that if you can get a boot from a CD you can make a dos boot disk check utility and see what that reports - although I doubt even if it will run the result will be other than to confirm your report

If you try what I have suggested and then if you wish to try the generic hard drive test when you post back we will continue

13. delaneygottron

I doubt its the RAM the troubleshooter said it is a hard drive problem. I do not know what you mean by generic test of the hard drive. Would I be better off taking it to my repair guy?

14. Macboatmaster

I think so yes.

Indeed as I said
    should you decide to follow my advice before taking it for repair
    You should follow the procedure in this link - as you have a Western Digital hard drive
    http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en

make yourself a dos bootable usb
    boot from the usb and run the quick test and then depending on that result run the extended test
    If it is the drive and the extended test manages to repair the file damage due to bad sectors - you may then just get a boot to windows

If you do back everything up that you need and then either if you are capable use the service manual to replace the hard drive OR take it to your repair man

15. Macboatmaster

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice