1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows error recovery

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by internetaddict, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. internetaddict

internetaddict Thread Starter

I've got a problem with my laptop; the other day I was uninstalling unneeded programmes but I accidentally uninstalled an important Microsoft program(I forgot what it was ) and now I can't log in. When I switch on the laptop it says "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Then it gives me 2 options:
    Launch start up repair (recommended)
    Or
    Start windows normally

I've tried both multiple times and neither works. The 1st option goes to a blue page which tells me to restart it, which brings me back to the same page to begin with. This was on the blue page/screen

Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000C1F5 (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x0000000)

The 2nd option just restarts the laptop.

Please help

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

do the startup repair, then go through til you reach the end and it has a window with several options. one of them should be command prompt. if you get there, you may be able to run a command, sfc /scannow , and hit enter. it may repair your files, if not, you will have to reload the os. you can recover your info first by booting to a linux live dvd if you don't have a recent backup.

3. vembutech

vembutech Banned

Hi,

If you press F8 on startup, do you get the system restore option under "Repair my Computer?" This would restore the laptop to factory default. If this doesn't work, you'll need to find a Vista disk; assuming the product key sticker is still legible use that to activate. If you have a good key for Windows that isn't in use on another PC that will work too.

If a re-install still gives problems, it's the hard drive. You'd need to replace it (and then install an OS on the new HDD

There's also the Ubuntu option if you can't restore, read the product key or get another key. That's 100% free and includes the LibreOffice office suite (Office does not come with Windows and if the factory software for that laptop has office, it's likely a limited-time trial)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice