1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Essentials Live Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Flightoffancy, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Flightoffancy

Flightoffancy Thread Starter

Having so much trouble with this at a loss how to solve it.
    Have live mail but it doesn't work. There are so many problems don't know where to start. Basically the problem is that it will not send or receive mail. Every time it is tried get a Logon (server needs this info) window that asks for username (which is, it seems, only partially filled in. Ends at where the @ would appear ) Put down the password but the same logon window keeps reappearing. Don't know if any explanations will help. Need a tech to get into it to see if there is anything wrong but remote access is worrisome.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You probably need to confirm you email settings against those provided by the email hosting service. What email service are you trying to use?

3. Flightoffancy

Will explain why this program is necessary as it might help with an explanation. This program is needed to try for a job (web search evaluator) and they require a Windows Live I.D. I assume that means an email address. I can't determine why Live Mail is required.
    I know nothing about this program but expected based on using gmail and Express that it would be fairly straightforward. Not so. I thought you could just write and send an email but apparently not. According to the info Live Mail can connect with my gmail account.What I can't fathom is why my gmail account is involved. Why can't they just send to my gmail directly?
    As mentioned my email program is gmail.
    We might go back and forth with questions and answers as I am out of my league here and will have to be led by the nose, as it were.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A Windows Live ID is not Windows Live Mail.

A Windows Live ID is an email account/address from Microsoft on their Hotmail.com/Outlook.com/Live.com service; it's now called a Microsoft Account: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-live/sign-in-what-is-microsoft-account

Gmail is not an email program, it is an email service, just like Outlook.com

Windows Live Mail is an email program/client. As such it needs to be configured with an existing email account to work; such as a Gmail account or a Microsoft account and with the correct settings to work.

Windows Live Mail is not required to have or use a Windows Live ID/Microsoft Account.

5. Flightoffancy

Have a MS account already to get into Live Mail but get window log on saying before inbox can be accessed need to log in to server (Imap.gmail.com). So how to change password for that? And how to configure? So if my potential employers get the Windows Live ID do they send email through Windows LIve mail which is then routed to my gmail? Seems easier just to have them send mail direct to gmail.Cery cery confusing.

Jan

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't have to use Windows Live Mail. Just go www.outlook.com and sign in there. There is NO requirement to use Windows Live Mail to use a Microsoft Live account.

It's between the employer and you how you communicate, there must be a specific reason they want you to use a Microsoft Account, have you asked why?

Setup up Windows Live Mail will not forward any email to your Gmail account.

7. Flightoffancy

Did ask them why Outlook.com couldn't be used but did not get an answer that I can remember. Before downloading Outlook.com (after dumping it) will ask them again after giving them account info. Thanks for your help. Depending on what they say might get back to you.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice