windows experience index

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Martin71

hi i have recently tried to update my windows experience index but for some reason i get this error message:
"Cannot complete assessment
The assessment or other operation did not complete successfully. This is due to an error being reported from the operating system, driver or other component"
I have no idea why this is happening or what caused it.
I have run multiple registry and computer error repair programs which have picked nothing up-except registryfix 7 which has picked up 2 system service errors, this is what it says:

RegKey : HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\hwdatacard
ValueName : ImagePath
Value : C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ewusbmdm.sys
The file (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ewusbmdm.sys) Does not exist at the specified location.

and this is the second one:

RegKey : HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TfkbMon
ValueName : ImagePath
Value : C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tfkbMon.sys
The file (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tfkbMon.sys) does not exist at the specifed location.
I dont know if these errors are anything to do with my problem but i cant seem to fix these to system service errors.

The "registry" errors have to do with a modem and some PC Tools software, and should have nothing to do with the Windows Experience indiex.

If you run eventvwr.msc and look at the System log, are you seeing any errors logged there when you try to get the Experience Index to complete?

There is another method of running it that might be worth a try.

Open a command prompt with Administrative priveleges (http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...th-administrator-privileges-in-windows-vista/)

and run

winsat formal

once it completes, check the location

c:\windows\performance\winsat\datastore

and see if there is a new WinSat.xml log there

Also check to see if a new Experience Index was created in the usual place.

If the operation fails, can you tell from the command window where it halted?

Martin71

Ok the registry errors? do you mean pc tools as in the website or just tools?
I tried tp update it again and then i checked the logs but there doesnt seem to be any errors loggedat that time and as for the command prompt, when i get it and right clicked it ther is no option to "run as administrator" and i dont know how to fix that

Martin71

i tried just running winsat and checked it when it completed and there wasnt a new xml document?

Was there anything in the "datastore" folder? Did the operation appear to complete successfully, returning you to a command prompt?

Was a WinSat.log created in the "Winsat" folder itself?

PC Tools was for one of the programs associated with that website.

Do you have an encryption program installed such as "True Crypt"? That appeared to be the source of this individual's error message >>

http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/1145611.htm

Attachments

Martin71

ok i checked the datastore folder there was no new files and as for running command prompt as admin the option isnt there. when i ran it in the command prompt it did everything and then closed. there is no winsat.log in the winsat folder and yes my laptop came with acer esecurity which yes does encrypt.

What is interesting in your screenshot is that the command icon is not the normal Vista icon for a command prompt -- but just a basic program icon with no association.

Do you get the "run as administrator" option in any right click window on any "exe"?

I have an Acer too, have never seen an issue -- although I have removed all Acer related stuff from programs. Are you actually using the encryption tool?

What about that "systweak" file encryptor? What is that? It looks associated with "Folder Lock" which I have seen repeated issues with on Vista >> http://3d2f.com/tags/systweak/encrypt/

I would unencrypt everthing that has been used on and uninstall the program!

If the problem remains after that try booting up in a "Clean Boot" and testing >>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Martin71

yes i can run any other software as admin except that. i dont use the acer preload stuff what does clean boot up do? does it wipe anything or cause any problems

Clean booting simply disables startup services and programs. Just disable NON Microsoft programs and services. The link should explain it all

All is reversable -- if you have used msconfig before to disable startups -- note what they are as you will have to disable them again once you re-enable.

But you haven't answered the question about "systweak" -- I'm not sure that simply disabling it will make a difference if it has already been used to encrypt files.

These 3rd party file encryptors and folder lockers have been trouble especially with Vista -- often causing blue screens and conflicts with antivirus and malware scanners.

Look for it in Program Files -- open it and examine its features. Read any "Help" files associated with it.

Open the Control Panel > Programs and Features and look for it there. When was it installed?

If it has been used you need to know how to undo whatever has been done -- then uninstall it.

Martin71

ok i checked program files and installations there was nothing. so what i have done as with the advice of acer support is backup my hard drive and then restore my computer back to the factory settings so far this has worked and fixed every other error i have come accross

Probably a good idea, considering -- I assume this restore was a complete wipe, and not just a "reinstall" -- I don't think there is any other option in the Acer restore procedure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online