1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows experienced an unexpected error.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ErvinBoyes, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ErvinBoyes

ErvinBoyes Thread Starter

Tried to do a fresh install of windows 8.1 64 bit to my SSD from my USB (switched to 10 later on, as I've decided on installing windows 10 instead, but it still gave the same error). I'm doing this because my windows was freezing a lot. My temperatures on everything were fine. replaced my memory a couple of months ago because I believed that it was faulty. I get this message after the installation restarts: "Windows experienced an unexpected error. To install windows, restart the installation". It appears after the installation needs to continue to the boot drive rather than the SSD. what I see is the bios screen, with a small spinning windows loading icon, and then after a few seconds, the error
    Things I've tried to fix it:
    Installing the other drivers I have: windows was unstable and I kept getting blue screens, freezing up, unable to launch Far Cry 5, which was the same as before. The blue screens I got were SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED, which I had never seen previously.
    Running a chkdsk on all my drives and the USB: no errors
    trying just one of each ram stick rather than both: nothing
    formatting the SSD to GPT: nothing
    using Rufus instead of the Windows 7 media creation tool to create a bootable USB: nothing
    switching to AHCI to IDE: slight difference, in AHCI, the window error would take less time to appear, but with IDE, it would take longer, and it would freeze for a few minutes before it appeared
    cleaning all of the drives using diskpart: nothing
    Specs
    GPU: MSI GTX 970
    CPU: I7 4790K @ 4.0GHZ, COOLED BY A DARK ROCK PRO 3 BK019
    RAM: 2x 8GB PATRIOT VIPER RAM 1600MHZ
    STORAGE: (OS) 120GB KINGSTON SSD, WD BLUE 2TB HDD, 256GB CRUCIAL SSD
    MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G45
    PSU: CORSAIR MX750M
    MONITOR: LG 34 INCH 2560x1080 21:9 MONITOR
    FANS: 4 CORSAIR CASE FANS

2. sivartk

sivartk

First Name:
    Travis
    It may be that you booted the flash drive in UEFI mode to install Windows, but the BIOS is set to boot legacy mode (or vice versa) (this from your saying "It appears after the installation needs to continue to the boot drive rather than the SSD" -- but I'm not clear on what this means as your SSD should be your boot drive after you install Windows.)

If you can get into Windows now (i.e. your desktop), that is not the issue. You'll need to be a little more clear on what happens when you try to boot now.

...and yes, AHCI mode is faster and IDE mode, so it makes sense an error (during install??) would take longer with a slower speed. AHCI mode is correct for your configuration.

3. ErvinBoyes

I made a little mistake there, I meant that it appears after Im done using the usb and I need to move on without it. I can't get on to windows now, as none of my drives have it installed

4. sivartk

sivartk

First Name:
    Travis
    In the BIOS there should be a boot setting. Is it set to boot Legacy or UEFI? If you can toggle between the two, try that and then a reboot.
    The screen might look something like this (not my image)
    [​IMG]

5. ErvinBoyes

If you are referring to the 'boot mode select', mine is set to the same as that, "UEFI+LEGACY". on the motherboard the only other option is UEFI.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    At the start of the install are you deleting all the partitions on the SSD ? Try that if not.

At the first reboot during the install should boot to the SSD not the Usb stick, I think this should happen automatically though.

7. ErvinBoyes

Yes I do delete the partitions, and yes that does also happen. you may not have seen but said earlier that I made a mistake in the description: I meant that the error appears after Im done using the usb and I need to move on without it.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Try the install again with only the one SSD connected, by unplugging the Sata data cables on the other drives.

9. ErvinBoyes

I've tried this too, but I'll try again tonight just to nake sure.

10. ErvinBoyes

Updating the BIOS worked. Really appreciate the help anyway though :)

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad you fixed it. If you're sure it's ok now please click on [Mark Solved] at the top of your page.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice