1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer 7 Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ljlemer, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

Ever since I downloaded Windows Explorer 7 I have serious problems with ordinary functions, like double clicking on URLs or highlighted items. In hotmail it won't let me delete spam, but other clicks it allows me. Copying and pasting is also non-functional.

I also use Firefox, so now I do almost everything on it. Since I haven't heard an uproar from the public, I'm assuming my problem isn't common.

Another problem is that my computer won't let me download programs that require Active X., not even its own Windows programs. How can I change that? I think that although I've always owned the computer, the pc doesn't recognize me as having administrative powers. That may because my computer repair guy tinkered with the controls, possibly to keep me from screwing up the computer like I did when I called him for help.

My system is a Dell 4600 with 2500 megs of RAM. You may write me under the name I'm logged in under at yahoo.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I would uninstall Internet Explorer 7 AND do a System Restore and see if that resolves the problem.

System Restore is accessed by running msconfig and choosing Launch System Restore; they can be undone.

Then if you are brave you can try the upgrade again.

As for Administrative rights, check to see if you have them in Control Panel > User Accounts.

If you don't, boot up in Safe Mode and choose the built-in Administrator account and change your permissions.

If you are prompted for a password (hopefully your tech guy did not create one), just hit enter.

If he did -- you have a beef fondue to cook with him

3. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

Thank you, but it is my understanding that IE7 is not uninstallable. Please prove me wrong.

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Oh, it is uninstallable. Just go to Add/Remove Programs and scroll down to "Windows Internet Explorer 7".

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I believe you have to have the "show updates" checked there to see it.

6. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    No, it comes up in the main listing.

7. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

"Windows Internet Explorer 7" is not on the list. I've always had it set on "show updates".

8. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

I've reached the conclusion that IE7 is no longer on my computer, but that installing it and removing it damaged my IE6. What can I do about that?

It still won't let me download Active X files, even those from Windows. I'm not sure how confident I am about entering under safe mode and tinkering.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you done a System Restore?

And have you verified that in Internet Options > Security > Custom Level you have reset to the defaults?

10. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

Internet Options won't open for me, either from the toolbar or the Control Panel. That is typical of many other functions that don't respond on my damaged IE6. Or is that a managemental access issue? I believe System Restore was never turned on, but in the event I manage to turn it on, what was the date IE7 was released, because I would need to go back before then. A lot of expensive software, downloads and updates would be lost, right?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If System Restore was never turned on (actually it is on by default -- you would have to turn it off) -- then there would be no restore points available.

But try accessing Internet Options in Safe Mode to rule out any conflicts.

IE7 was probably released prior to any restore points you might have, which typically would go back a couple of months at most.

If you did manage to do a system restore you would not lose anything stored in the My Documents folder -- you could transfer anything there that you wanted to save prior to the restore.

Finally, if IE7 has been removed -- well you can try reinstalling it again.

Other than that, you could try reinstalling the operating system from a retail or OEM vendor CD.

12. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

Security settings that I can't access prevent me from downloading IE7. I tried 3 different System Restore dates but they were unsuccessful. How do I get to Safe Mode?

13. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

I see that Rollin' Rog is offline right now. You may get into Safe Mode by hitting the F8 key when you reboot...after the splash screen that says "Dell". You will be presented with a listing of options. Simply select "Safe Mode". It sounds like you've never done this before. Be forewarened that your screen will look a bit funny. I hope this helps you. :)

14. ljlemer

ljlemer Thread Starter

What am I supposed to do when I get there?

15. bubblz

bubblz Account Closed

It looks like Rollin' Rog was instructing you to go to Safe Mode and try accessing your Internet Options to rule out any conflicts. To access Internet Options, you would go to START -- CONTROL PANEL -- INTERNET OPTIONS.

Did you confirm that you have administrative rights on the PC?

Bubblz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice