1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows explorer address bar flashing very quickly, cant access any files w/explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by greensnow, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensnow

greensnow Thread Starter

so i was browsing google trying to see if anyone else shared my problem and I found a post from this site about 5 years old,
    http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/398862-windows-explorer-flashing.html

the only problem is it was never solved.

Like he says its very hard to explain but I'll try to elaborate. When I open 'My Computer', the address bar immediately starts flashing multiple times per second, flashing meaning it will drop down/close, drop down/close, over and over. Because of this I cannot access my C: drive or my cd drive or anything through Windows explorer.

does anybody have any idea why this is happening?

2. greensnow

greensnow Thread Starter

bump bumpity buuuump. anybody? :)

3. speed_hog

speed_hog

Greensnow, can you try this?

How to perform Chkdsk disk error checking in Windows XP

Manual steps to run Chkdsk at the command prompt

Click Start, and then run

Or hit the WINDOWS key, (bottom left area of you keyboard) and the R key at the same time to get the run window to open.

In the window that opens type

cmd

And then press ENTER.

Use one of the following procedures:

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type

chkdsk c:/r

(Provided of course that c is your drive letter)

And then press ENTER.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903036

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice