1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer crashes when I open My Musi

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BaconIsGood, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BaconIsGood

BaconIsGood Thread Starter

My OS is Windows XP and the message I get is "Windows Explorer has encountered an problem and must shut down. Sorry for the inconvienence."

This also happens when I right-click on the desktop, but after that message, I get a similar one from Dr. Postmortem Debugger (or something like that) and the computer freezes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
    Scan saved at 10:00:56 AM, on 11/27/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Stardock\SDMCP.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
    C:\Program Files\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus.../search/ie.html
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus...//www.yahoo.com
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/cus...//www.yahoo.com
    O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINNT\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINNT\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\System32\msjava.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINNT\System32\msjava.dll
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    O16 - DPF: RaptisoftGameLoader - http://www.miniclip.com/hamsterball...tgameloader.cab
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yah...nst20040510.cab
    O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/c...DC_1_0_0_44.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D1E7CBDA-E60E-4970-A01C-37301EF7BF98} (Measurement Service Client v.3.4) - http://ccon.futuremark.com/global/msc34.cab
    O16 - DPF: {F54C1137-5E34-4B95-95A5-BA56D4D8D743} (Secure Delivery) - http://www.gamespot.com/KDX/kdx.cab

2. BaconIsGood

3. BaconIsGood

4. BaconIsGood

5. BaconIsGood

6. Swiper

Swiper

Try uninstalling Spysweeper ( if you have that program )

7. Telstar

Telstar

Hi B.I.G.,
    Ok, let me tell you about a similar experience I had just last night.
    (this is going to be a long story so, stay with me).

I have Windows XP Home. I do frequent Spybot, Ad-aware scans, have
    SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster along with Zone Alarm and Norton AV, so
    I feel I'm pretty well protected. I say this to show my experience was NOT (as near as I could determine) caused by a virus, worm, trojan, spyware, etc.

I DO use a P2P (will remain unnamed here) to download some music and video files.

Everything was running smoothly when all of a sudden I noticed my comp was becoming very sluggish. I went to open my Windows Explorer to check on my downloads and I received that same message "Windows Explorer has experienced a problem, etc....."

Upon closing Windows Explorer (it closed on it's own) I found my computer had froze. I could not even use Start>Turn Off Computer>Restart (I figured of course that a Reboot might un-freeze the computer).

The only thing I was able to do was do a "hard" power off by using the OFF button on my Dell tower.

The computer did turn off. I restarted and after Startup I again went to Windows Explorer and the same thing happened....what to do?

I went into "emergency" mode and did the following:
    1) Updated and ran Spybot, Ad-aware, TrendMicro Housecall scans....no inconsistencies, virus or malicious intruders were found.

2) I used two programs: CleanUp! and Find Junk Files to clean my system.

Also ran the X-Cleaner program which found nothing.

(Still the same problem with Windows Explorer closing.)

3) and to top it all off, I even used System Restore to an earlier date and
    still the problem with Windows Explorer closing persisted.

Ok, time for a serious investigation.

First thing I did was go to a couple of recently downloaded video files and
    noticed that I WAS NOT ABLE TO OPEN or DELETE one of them (was an .avi).....hmmm

When I tried to delete the file I would receive a message, something like...
    "This file cannot be deleted, it is being used by another program".
    but, it wasn't! (I checked ALL running programs).

Finally, I tried this...
    I did a Start>Search for the problem file and only one item came up (although it did not show the path for the file strangely enough).
    Anyway, I was able to easily delete it from the Search window. I immediately
    went to my Recycle Bin and cleared it (it was the ONLY file there at that time since I had already used CleanUp!).
    I rebooted, after which everything has been fine up to now with Windows Explorer opening as it should. Normal comp speed was also resumed.

I was coming to this Forum to ask a question about my experience and what would cause a file to do this (corrupt?). btw, I had scanned that particular file with my Norton AV and no virus was found.

I still don't know the root cause of the problem. However, since it sounds as if your experience is similar to mine I thought I'd share mine with you instead of starting a new thread. Will give you something to look for.....

I suspect you have a "bad" file in your Windows Explorer (check in your Music Folders for recently installed files) causing your problem.
    Just my opinion, I could be wrong!

Regards,

Telstar :)

8. moper

moper

Telstar, XP has a bug that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them. It is caused by the bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

When you click on an AVI file in Windows Explorer, the operating system will attempt to read the entire file in order to determine the dimensions, duration, bitrate, etc. of the file. If there's anything amiss with that file, XP will continue forever to try to "read" it...and often all the files in that folder are locked until Windows is happy with its reading efforts.

The Old Fix was:
    Click Start > Run and enter regedit
    Navigate to the following key from the registry editor:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

Then select PropertyHandler

Next click File > Export and give the file a name. (To make a backup in case anything goes wrong)

After saving it, Right click on the PropertyHandler folder in the left hand pane and choose Delete.

Reboot and try again...

Microsoft has a recent Hotfix with an updated shmedia.dll: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822430

moper

9. Telstar

Telstar

I had failed to mention one pertinent fact that your Microsoft link mentions....

SYMPTOMS
    "Additionally, when you view the Processes tab in Windows Task Manager, you notice that the Explorer.exe process consumes 100 percent of CPU usage for up to two hours or more."

Yep, I did in fact notice this about explorer.exe in Task Manager and my CPU usage was running at 100%.
    (in fact, when I went to Task Manager I saw explorer.exe was using an excess amount of Memory Usage. When I clicked on "End Process" of course everything went blank and I had to restart again, but still had the same problem
    as I mentioned.)

I believe you've hit the nail on the head with your info moper.

I'll bookmark it for reference the next time this occurs.
    (Good thing I mentioned that it was an .AVI. Probably was the key to your
    identifying my problem.)

Thanks very much, greatly appreciate the help! (y)

Telstar :)

10. moper

moper

You're welcome.

moper

11. BaconIsGood

Thanks for the help, but neither worked :( . I honestly am lost to as why it does not work.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/304357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice