1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer crashes when in Thumbnail view

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by msonberg, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

anyone know why this happens? It's not all the time. Usually in folders with larger amounts of photos in them. Doesn't make any sense though. I have 1.5 gigs of RAM (PC3200 at that). I can't imagine my pc can't keep up with populating some thumbnails. Can anyone point me to some literature on this?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If one of the image files is corrupt this can happen, it takes Windows Explorer down with it when it fails to open properly to display the thumbnail.

Posting the same problem 3 times in close succession won't get help quicker either, probably the inverse result!

Try deleting the thumbs.db file in those folders (its just a database of image thumbnails) in case that is the cause. It should be rebuilt by XP next access in thumbnail view.

3. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

I did not intentionally post this 3 times... my connection was hanging because of an email that was going out and I didn't realize it was getting through.

I don't see a thumbs.db file anywhere after switching to thumbs view. I don't think that I would have that many corrupt image files though. This happens too frequently it seems. But of course I'm here looking for help cause I assume the rest of you guys are more informed.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Go to Folder Options > View and check "show hidden files".

Refresh the folder where you are having the problem. The thumbs.db file should show up whether you are using thumbnail view or not.

The images are not likely corrupt, but thumbs.db is.

Alternately you can copy all the files to a new folder.

Some versions of Photoshop cause this.

5. msonberg

msonberg Thread Starter

Still no dice. WE is set to show hidden files and I still don't see the thumbs.db file. I do use Photoshop a lot though, so that sounds like it could have something to do with it. I just don't see the file you're referring to.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/380088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice