1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer Crashes with NTDLL.DLL

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CardPuller, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CardPuller

CardPuller Thread Starter

This one has me stumped. When in Windows Explorer (XP Pro) and burrowing through folders I get the following error:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    Details:
    AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: ntdll.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 000106c3

I can make it happen consistently by going to the eighth level of sub-folders.

It just closes Explorer and then everything comes back up (except for Explorer or my email if I was attaching a file).

I have tried everything I can think of, including a reparative install of Windows XP Pro. I have run sfc /scannow. I try to do regsvr32 ntdll.dll and I get the following error:

ntdll.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file can not be registered.

I have run Ad Aware SE, SpySweeper and Spybot (and even a TDS-3 full system scan). Spyware/virus is not the problem. Caches/temps are cleared, she defrags fine. This is a Dell Latitude 600m 1.6GHz 768MB.

Any ideas - I am giving up for tonight as the sun is rising.

2. CardPuller

CardPuller Thread Starter

Fixed!!

Someone told me about a possible problem with Adobe Photoshop and thumbnails.

I thought it was a long shot, but this machine did have Photoshop Elements 1 and 2 installed on it (one may have been accidentally installed over 2 by our COO).

I uninstalled both and the problem went away.

I reinstalled only Elements 2 and everything is still working.

What a long strange trip this one has been!

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thanks for posting your solution. It probably involves a context menu extension of Adobe. Possibly the software could be reinstalled and used if the context menu entries that it adds were then removed.

4. LordAlex123

LordAlex123

i get this error too...with a ntdll.dll....but for me it's the prbl with ymess... i get this error :
    AppName: yahoomessenger.exe AppVer: 8.1.0.421 ModName: ntdll.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00011e58

what can i do.....sry for wrong posting :( i really need help pls...
    P.S. : when i enter command "regsvr32 ntdll.dll " it says: " ntdll.dll was loaded but DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found.the file can not be registered".
    PLsssss help..10x anticipate

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice