1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer crashing in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JoJoUK, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoJoUK

JoJoUK Thread Starter

Windows Explorer keeps crashing (shutting down and restarting), especially when I right click on a folder or file. Apart from re-installing Vista, what can I do to ensure I have a 'clean' version of Windows Explorer? (There seem to be multiple versions of 'explorer.exe' on my hard disk. See the attached screen clips.)

Attached Files:

2. TekTime

TekTime

For starters, you could try going check the system files:

1. Go to the start menu

2. Type command and hit enter

3. Type sfc /scannow at the c: prompt and hit enter

*Windows will now check the integrity of your system files*

-----

That may not help but it's just for starters to help troubleshoot. Has your PC been scanned
    for viruses and other malware recently?

3. garyvh

garyvh

I also keep getting windows explorer to stop working and reload again when I right click on any icon. My problem gets worse because when I try to run the sfc program at the prompt, it says I must be the administrator running a console session. I am the only user of this computer and have full admin access and yet I get the same msg making me unable to run the sfc program.

Is there any other way to run the sfc program?

4. TekTime

TekTime

Sorry, forgot to add:

When you open up the command prompt, do it by going into the start menu and right clicking
    Command Prompt.

Next, click on: Run as administrator

Then, try running the sfc /scannow command again.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's almost impossible to have corrupted files in Vista since the files in the Windows folder are really hardlinks.

You have a bad context menu entry. If you installed something lately, try turning off the context menu in its settings.

Context Menu Repair

6. garyvh

garyvh

Thank you! Using your suggestion, I was able to go into startup and open command prompt, this time allowing me to run sfc /scannow. I ran it twice and both times it read "windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. The first time I ran it, I was able to look at the log file and see numerous screens quickly scrolling on my screen. The final line read that corrupt files were fixed. The second time I ran the program, it would not allow me to read the log file stating that only admins could access.

I rebooted my computer and the same problem existed whereby any right click starts the "windows explorer is not working error." This also happens when I try to press the delete key to delete a file or icon.

Any suggestions what to do next? I bought my computer with vista installed and presently have no idea where the windows disks are.

7. garyvh

garyvh

The Context Menu Repair did the job! Thank you very much. Now I can right click again.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

You found the culprit? Good work.:D

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. garyvh

garyvh

I must be blind but I can't find anywhere on the top of the page where I can mark the thread solved. Please help clarify.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice