Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows explorer crashing on simple operations

Solved 
3K views 41 replies 3 participants last post by  rumi 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20121025221733.000000+540
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 MB
Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (9 GB Free); E: 1 GB (1 GB Free); G: 931 GB (138 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 172A, ver KBC Version 30.35, s/n CZC03736F7
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - f, s/n CZC03736F7
Antivirus: Malwarebytes, Enabled and Updated

Hi Everyone,

My computer has started acting strangely. First noticed that items sent via an online chat app were arriving for others to see, but not showing up for me.
then when trying to manage picture files, thumbnails were disappearing, cut and pasting not working and windows explorer freezing for any little thing like create a new folder, renaming or trying to drag and drop files into folders.

Edge seems to be working ok, and I can connect to internet and browse ok.

Windows explorer worked fine in safe mode.

I am also hearing the fan racing when I use win explorer, and have had the laptop cut out because I guess it got too hot.

I would suspect a virus, but I have been on a free trial of Malwarebytes for the lat 10 days, and scans have not shown much. It quarantined one threat which I deleted.

Any ideas ?? Many thanks in advance.

Rumi

See less See more
#2 ·
A little update, when it was freezing, I wasn't able to interrupt it wit ctrl-alt-del, either task manager didn't appear, or wouldn't open.

Also I have tried removing thumbnails, and only allowing icons. It is working ok like that, but I need to see what I am doing with the pic files.

#3 ·
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20121025221733.000000+540
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 MB
Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (9 GB Free); E: 1 GB (1 GB Free); G: 931 GB (138 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 172A, ver KBC Version 30.35, s/n CZC03736F7
System: Hewlett-Packard, ver HPQOEM - f, s/n CZC03736F7
According to your log, you have THIS HP EliteBook 8440p Notebook PC.

According to that notebook's support site, it was originally purchased in September 2010 and came with one of these Windows operating systems:
Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit
Windows Vista (unknown version) 32-bit
Windows 7 Starter 32-bit

According to your log, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit was installed in that notebook in October 2012.

That notebook's 117 GB capacity C: drive is about 93% full and its 931 GB capacity G: drive is about 86% full.
That tells me it has a lot of installed apps or personal data or both, and it has a lot of running processes.

My advice to you would be to do a clean re-install and get a fresh start.
You should also add another 4 GB of RAM.

--------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
hi, thanks for replying,

I bought the laptop second hand from a pc repair store, I guess they must have upgraded it to Win 7 Pro.

The G drive is just an external flash drive that was connected when I ran the techguy utility.

I was trying to offload a lot of pics onto the flash drive as I suspected running out of storage space may be causing the issue.

The main C: drive had been 3Gb fuller just before I ran the sysinfo utility so nearer to 96% full when the problems started. (agreeing with you even more)

Ok so how do I do a clean re-install, and will I lose everything ? (or more seriously how do I make sure I don't lose everything)

I notice when I run Windirstat that a huge amount of storage space is taken by apple backup data, which I guess could be shipped out or maybe even some of it deleted, but I don't know what I'm doing, so I always leave it alone.

If I want to get an extra 4 Gb of Ram, how do I do this? I know I increased the Ram on a desktop, but all that needed was to buy to memory boards and put them in the 2 unused slots. Will I have to open up the laptop to insert extra Ram? I was thinking of going in to clean dust from around the cpu chip and cooler, so I could maybe do it at the same time.

I guess the first thing to do is a backup, although I did one not so long ago.

thanks,

Rumi

#5 ·
I don't use Apple products or third-party backup apps, so I can't comment on them.

Your notebook comes with 4 GB of DDR3 RAM, but it supports up to 8 GB.
Depending on if it currently has one 4 GB module or two 2 GB modules will determine what you'll need to purchase.
The module bay is usually under a panel on the bottom of the case, but it may also be under the keyboard.

Doing a clean re-install of Windows 7 will wipe out everything, so you would need to back up your personal data first.
You would then need to re-install your needed or desired apps after Windows 7 has been brought up to date.

-------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
Hi, thanks again,

I have 3 panels under the laptop, one I am pretty sure is the hard drive, the second one has a single memory board and one largish slot, and the third has a small board and an empty slot with spare connectors. None of them say RAM on them ?

I’ll try to attach pics so you can see what I need to do.

thanks so much.

Rumi

Attachments

#7 ·
Your middle image shows a 2 GB DDR3-1333 MHz (PC3-10600) module installed.

THIS YouTube video shows how to remove and replace both RAM modules in your notebook.
The first module is inside the center bay on the bottom of the case and is very easy to access.
The second module is underneath the keyboard and is more difficult to access.
Unless you have the confidence and ability to do it yourself, you can cause damage to components and cables.

#12 ·
Houston we have a problem !

I opened the panels on the laptop last night, the power cord was plugged in to the mains but connected to nothing. This morning my laptop won’t switch on. Normally it has an orange light when it comes on and is charging, and a blue light when just the battery I think. This morning there was just a blue light but the laptop wouldnt power up at all. The blue light went dim and has gone completely now. (the battery is old and hasnt held much charge for a long time) I suspect that the power transformer has failed but it may be a total computer meltdown.

I’m not sure how to test my power lead, do I need to start a new thread ?

ohhh dear, it’s all getting messy !?

#14 ·
hi, amazingly I have managed to get my laptop back on. I did a “discharge any residual power” operation after removing the battery, fiddled with the power lead in and out of the Jack a few times and miraculously it booted up ??

We are back in the game !

#15 ·
I saw some 4 gb memory chips on Amazon, but I also saw some very similar 8 gb ones, is it any point going all in and getting 2x8 = 16 Gb ??

I’ve freed up more disk space on main C: drive. Laptop is behaving less erratically, and win exp hasnt crashed since it came back from the dead, but it is running worryingly hot.

Also there is no orange light to show that the battery is charging, I think the battery may be dead.

#17 ·
OK, thank you, I will order 2x4 Gb cards and a new battery. May I ask you how you know that 16 is not supported, can you tell from the sys utility info ? Also how can you tell by looking at the memory cards how many Gb it is ?

Not that I doubt you, just wanting to learn :)

#19 ·
May I ask you how you know that 16 is not supported
If you look at the product specifications section in its support site, it tells you how much RAM it supports and what speed RAM it supports.
how can you tell by looking at the memory cards how many Gb it is
The information on the sticker on the RAM module tells you what capacity (1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB, etc.) it is.

#22 ·
hi thanks for the info, I received 2 memory cards today. They say the warranty is void if I remove the sticker, but the sticker covers the sticker that tells you which card it is ??

There is another sticker on the outside pack which almost says what it is ? do you think I am good to open it? its pretty much most of the product code I asked for ?

I’ll send a pic .

thanks again

#24 ·
The warranty is void if you remove the sticker that is on each of those 2 modules.
The warranty is not void if you cut through or remove the wrap-around sticker on each of the 2 plastic containers.
You obviously have to do so you can gain access to the modules.

A photo of the sticker on one of the 4 GB modules would be good to have so it can be compared with this photo:

Font Wood Flooring Rectangle Automotive exterior

--------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.