1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer Default Display Folder Upon Opening

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xmf, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xmf

xmf Thread Starter

When I open Win Explorer it always displays the "My Documents" folder first. How can I get it to display C: instead?

Thank you

2. jdl

jdl

Go here to find directions to make a shortcut to open windows explorer in any folder/file desired.

3. xmf

xmf Thread Starter

I was really puzzled by this because my previous install opened to C: by default. That was an OEM Dell disk if it matters. My new (nlite) install however (not made using Dell's OEM disk), opens to My Documents as described. I wonder why.

4. jdl

jdl

From one of the microsoft.com pages:

By default, Windows Explorer opens showing the My Documents folder. To change the default setting so that all top–level drives and folders are shown, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, then Accessories, then right–click Windows Explorer, and click Properties.

2. Under Target field, which reads %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe, add to make the line read %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, /select, C:\

3. Click OK.

So the "Why" of your question is that Dell changed the default in the OEM install. Your new install reverted to the standard default.

5. xmf

xmf Thread Starter

Thank you very much

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice