1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer errors, USB port problem.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aimecrec, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aimecrec

aimecrec Thread Starter

I have a computer that runs Windows XP. When I try to open Internet Explorer I get the following message: iexplore.exe- entry point not found The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

This message occurred after I tried to repair Windows. I have tried uninstalling IE and reinstalling it. It will not reinstall on my computer because it says I don't have Sp2. I tried downloading Sp2 from the microsoft website and it won't download because I don't have IE. Also, after uninstalling IE I am unable to use some programs including Help Spot and System Restore.

I have recently purchased a portable hard drive in order to get all my personal info off the computer and start from scratch. When I tried installing the hard drive I got the following message: The Unknown USB Device is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at a reduced speed when plugged into a non HI-SPEED port.

My computer meets all the minimum requirements to install the hard drive and a hi-speed port is not required. No software came with the hard drive.

This message also occurs when I try using my printer which has worked just fine prior to the incident. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the minimum system requirements for the drive don't include a USB 2.0 port, then the old ports on your system should work just fine. You seem to indicate, without actually telling us or describing the problem, that it doesn't work. Does it not show up in My Computer? What operating system is installed on the computer? Did you check Drive Management to see if the drive is detected there.

You have numous system problems which were likely caused by trying to remove Internet Explorer, which you can't actually do. It's part of the operating system, and as you've discovered, has its files in far more than web browsing. After you reinstall this system (or run a repair, etc.), I highly suggest leaving system files and software as they are.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. aimecrec

aimecrec Thread Starter

I can't find IE on my Add/Remove programs or when I look for it in a search. When I tried to "repair" windows I used my Windows XP cd.

6. aimecrec

aimecrec Thread Starter

It is not installing the hard drive at all. I can't install IE because I get a message saying that I don't have the proper service pack. When I try to install the service pack it says I need IE.

7. aimecrec

aimecrec Thread Starter

The reason I had to try and fix my computer in the first place is because I downloaded a registry cleaner and it messed up my registry.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you run the XP repair I suggested? Or did you try to overinstall it?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

It is on the left side of Add/Remove Programs under "Windows Components"

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you show us a screenshot of this message when you try to install SP2?

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to pick your battles here. Obviously there's some serious damage. Do you want to get data backed up so you can reinstall? Or do you want to try to resolve each issue? Frankly, I don't think you'll get very far short of a reinstall or at least a repair. Registry cleaners can do some serious damage.

If the external hard drive works with another computer, then you may have to change methods for backing up your data here.

12. aimecrec

aimecrec Thread Starter

I would just like to back up my data at this point so I can do a reinstall.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Might be easier to pull the hard drive out and connect it to another computer to copy the data off.

14. aimecrec

aimecrec Thread Starter

The message I receive when I try to install Service pack 2 is as follows:

Service pack 2 setup error

Setup could not verify the integrity of the file update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.

15. aimecrec

aimecrec Thread Starter

Running xp repair seemed really complicated and risky. I didn't want to risk messing things up anymore then I already have.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice