1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer Folders (left) pane is blank (grey)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nagaras, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nagaras

nagaras Thread Starter

I am running Win 2K professional (SP1 and 2 installe) and IE 6. Recently I had to reinstall everything and since then my Windows Explorer left pane which lists the folders is empty.

If I click on the search icon, it shows the search windows. If I now click on the folders icon, it continues to show the search icon.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

• err.jpg
      err.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Go over to this old archive. The problem was reported on a Win98 box, but some things also work on 2000.

Those registry entries are in the same places in 2000 as in 98.

3. nagaras

nagaras Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have an entry for Explorerband. I tried creating the fix.reg file and double clicking it. It did not add the entries in

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}]

Is there a way to manually add those entries?

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

That's odd. Did it ask you if you wanted to add the information into the registry?

After you answered yes did it tell you that the information had been added to the registry?

Also, did you restart the machine, some fixes into the registry only take effect after a restart.

Are you logged with an administrator account?

You can also open up regedit by going to start clicking run and typing in regedit and pressing enter.

Once regedit is open, click on Registry in its start menu and then click on import registry file. Navigate to the exp.reg file and open it like you would any document. It should come back with the information was successfully imported.

5. nagaras

nagaras Thread Starter

Yes it did ask me if I wanted to add and I said yes. It said it added it. However, when I search for the entry in the regedit program it comes back with nothing.

I did the same thing with Import registry file in regedit and yet I cannot find these entries.

Hence my thought was to go to that registry entry and manually add it. However I am not sure if I should add a string, binary or Dword for each of those entries.

Thanks for your help.

6. nagaras

nagaras Thread Starter

This is what happens when I import the registry file.

Attached Files:

• file.gif
      file.gif
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

The values are reg_sz values.

If you are going to add them by hand,

Right click on clsid and select new -- key

Add key with the name {EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}

Now click on the key you just added and double click the default value and enter in Explorer Band

Next right click on the {EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E} key and select new -- key and name the it Implemented Categories

Now right click on Implemented Categories and select new -- key with the name {00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

Next right click on {EFA24E64-B078-11d0-89E4-00C04FC9E26E}
    and select new -- key and give it the name InProcServer32

Open the InProcServer32 and double click the default vaule and enter in %SystemRoot%\System32\shdocvw.dll

Now right click on InProcServer32 and select new -- string and enter in the name ThreadingModel

Now double click Threading Model and enter in Apartment

Enter these in with the capitalizations. Some keys are case sensitive.

I hope this helps you out.

8. nagaras

nagaras Thread Starter

I just had to change the first entry from Favorites Band to Explorer Band.

I also noticed that the version of shdocvw.dll in the system32 directory is 3/5/2002 6.0.2715.400.

Any other thoughts? I am almost resigned to reinstall Win 2K.

Thanks for your time and patience.

9. Brooks

Brooks Guest

That is about all I can think of. You might try reinstalling the service pack, but I really don't think it will have any effect.

If you are going to do a re-install, if you can backup anything really important and do a format that would make sure that you don't get any weird leftovers from the old install.

If not, at least do a new install. An upgrade install may bring that old problem with it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/75899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice