1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows explorer freezing whenever I am opening My computer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sleepypig, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sleepypig

sleepypig Thread Starter

Hey I'm sorta new here, so I don't know what kind of information I should be providing, but I'll do my best at explaining my current situation.

So yeah I went on vacation to China for 6 weeks, during which the computer that is broken had not been used. After I get back, I decide to burn some music onto a dvd disc. When I put in the disc, I realized that I had already put some files on there, so I decided to use windows to erase the disc. After about an hour of no progress, I decided to cancel it, only to get the message that windows explorer had stopped working. I thought, alright, no big deal, I could just start it again. But this time, I could not even open the My Computer section without it freezing again. (Note: I did not open My Computer prior to starting the disc erasing process, so I do not know if it was the disc that caused it or if it was something else.)
    The weird thing is though, that this only happens when I try to do anything related to My Computer. I can access my documents fine, it's only when the My Computer section is specifically opened that Windows explorer freezes. I tried opening My Computer up in Safe Mode and initially had the same problem, but after I decided to type C:\ into the address bar, I could get into My Computer fine. When I tried that in standard Windows boot mode though, it still did not work.

I do not believe that it is a problem with my hard drive or my disc drive, as I have xplorer2 lite and that can access everything without trouble. And I also have imgburn, which I downloaded to try to burn the disc, and it erased the disc and burned it again without any difficulties at all. I had Kaspersky Internet Security 8 scan my computer, and no viruses came up at all. Oh and I should also add that I am dual-booting Windows 7, and when I use the file explorer in there, it also has no trouble getting into my Vista installation partition. Do you know any reasons why this might be happening?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Most likely it is hardware related, I suspect the disc drive (optical)

As a test you could disconnect the optical drive from the system, and see if the problem goes away.

These hardware problems can be intermittent, leading you to believe it is not the disc drive.

3. sleepypig

sleepypig Thread Starter

Umm I'm not really sure how I could disconnect my disc drive, since I bought it already built into the computer. Is there an easier way besides opening up my computer and taking it out? Sorry, I'm not really much of a hardware person.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If you do not feel good about opening the case then I suggest calling a geek friend to help. All you have to do is disconnect the power cable from the back of the drive.

If you do decide to open the case be sure to shut down windows properly, then disconnect the power cord from the PC Before opening the case.

What make and model of PC is it?

5. sleepypig

sleepypig Thread Starter

Hey Mumbodog sorry about taking so long to respond. I've been kinda busy lately. But my computer is a dell inspiron 530, and I think I can get a friend to look at my computer tomorrow, so once it's disconnected, I'll let you know about the results.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice