Windows Explorer Haywire

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

caveatipse

I use Windows XP Home Edition. All of a sudden today (without any changes from me), when I try to click and drag, copy and paste, cut and paste, drag and drop, etc., using either the mouse or the keyboard shortcuts, my computer freezes and I have to do a hard reboot. No error message, nothing. I just do something like alt-x to cut, and the system freezes. Any ideas? Thanks! Mateo

Try the system file checker,
Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow
then ok.
You might be asked to insert the windows xp CD.

caveatipse

I disabled some shell extensions that were being used as copy and paste handlers by third party software, and this resolved everything EXCEPT when I right click on c:\ under My Computer, it displays the information, but says that Windows Explorer made an error or must close. Hmm Also when I try what you recommended, it says to insert Windows XP 2 CD. When I insert my Win XP CD (the only one it came with), it says it is the wrong CD.

caveatipse said:
I disabled some shell extensions that were being used as copy and paste handlers by third party software, and this resolved everything EXCEPT when I right click on c:\ under My Computer, it displays the information, but says that Windows Explorer made an error or must close. Hmm Also when I try what you recommended, it says to insert Windows XP 2 CD. When I insert my Win XP CD (the only one it came with), it says it is the wrong CD.
If you are saying that you have the SP1 CD and not the SP2, you might need to slipstream the SP2 into your SP1. Here is a link with instructions.
Also instructions to place the I386 folder on your computer here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online