1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer-Left Pane Empty

Discussion in 'Archive: Windows 95/98/Me' started by chuckie, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chuckie

chuckie Thread Starter

I'm running Win98SE, IBM model E3N. Don't know when this problem started since I'm not normally into Windows Explorer that much? Now when I open Windows Explorer, the Left pane is there but totally blank. I can see contents of folders in the Right pane and navigate thru folders using the Up arrow in the Tool bar, but can't see any folder hierarcy in the Left pane--it's just totally blank? I can minimize the Left pane and expand the Right pane across the whole screen, or bring back the two panes??? Help?

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

3. chuckie

chuckie Thread Starter

I appreciate the quick response to my problem by Mosaic 1. I followed the instructions and went into the Registry and deleted the ExplorerBar. Also visited the MS Knowledge Base site mentioned and it sounds like the problem I have, but the result is still the same--no Left pane Folders information showing?? It's just a totally blank pane?? Any other ideas???

Thanks!

Chuckie

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What color is the left pane please? Is it white or grey?

It is there, but blank? If it weren't there, you could to to the toolbar to View>explorer bar>folders
    and be sure that Folders was Checked.

5. chuckie

chuckie Thread Starter

Hi Mosaic1,

The color of the left blank pane is greyish. I've been to View and checked the Explorer bar and Folders has a check mark in front of it. Not sure what to try next?? One personal problem, I will be leaving Thanksgiving Day on a vacation and won't return home until December 2nd. I won't shut my machine down until around 10 PM tonight (11/21/01) so if you have any other thoughts, you can transmit them to me?? Otherwise, I will leave the problem"open" and check for any other suggestions upon my return. Again, I really appreciate your help.

Chuckie

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

You may be missing a registry key.

I am going to attach a text file. You need to Download it. Then rename it. Change the name from exp.txt
    to exp.reg That will make it a registry file.

Double click to enter into the registry. See if that helps.

Special Note: The attached registry file is not for use if you have Internet Explorer 5.5. (If you have IE 5.5, you need to verify your version of browseui.dll)

It will work for any other version IE. The only cure for the grayed out Folders Panel found so far has been to change your IE version.

Additional note: If you have Win2k, NT, or XP, please see this thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/t113867/s.html

Anyone who needs help, just ask.

7. chuckie

chuckie Thread Starter

Hi Mosaic1,

Your are a genius!! Adding the exp.reg file to the Registry fixed the problem. Hooray!! Now, how did we ever lose that file in the first place?? In any event, I can now go on vacation knowing that when I return I don't have to continue fighting this problem.
    Again, I want to thank you for the help.

Chuckie

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Chuckie,
    Thanks for the compliment and you are very welcome. How did you lose it? Good question. Have you recently used any kind of a Registry Cleaning Utility? Possibly it was removed by that.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and a great vacation.

Mo

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Since the attachment is no longer appearing in Mo's post, here is a new one; it is a zipped .reg file so no renaming is needed, just unzip and double click to merge.

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice