1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer Looping Error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by scavynger, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scavynger

scavynger Thread Starter

I'm having a problem where a box comes up saying "Windows Explorer has stopped working" then says "Windows Explorer is restarting" and keeps going over and over and over.

I've tried restarting, restoring to a previous checkpoint, dell support, searching forums and internet, all to no avail.

This happened after installing an application. The application crashed, and this started happening. This has happened once before several months ago after installing an application that wasn't Vista ready.

What I had to do that time, was start up in safe mode with command prompt, and go into the user/appdata directory and delete everything under the temp directory. Then had to delete everything under windows/../temp and windows/../prefetch. I can't recall who suggested that, but it worked.

I tried doing the same thing now, and doesn't work, although, I may be missing a directory somewhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions i can do to get out of this loop, or to backtrack my changes or anything??!!?!?

I'm running Vista Business and the only way i can do anything on the PC is through safe mode command prompt.

TIA!!

2. scavynger

scavynger Thread Starter

OK, figured it out. I was missing the actually installation directory and after deleting those files, it worked.

3. cyberian hus

cyberian hus

I am currently having the same problem can you help remedy this. Thank you

4. scavynger

scavynger Thread Starter

My problem was caused by installing a program that wasn't vista compatible.

if you got this issue right after installing something, then i would suggest doing the folloing:

1. Start in safe mode w/ command prompt
    2. CD into the directory that you saved the .exe to install the applicaiton and delete the ENTIRE directory.
    3. Then CD into the directory you installed to. Delete the ENTIRE directory.
    4. Try restarting.
    5. If you still have hte same problem, boot into safe mode with command prompt again.
    6. Delete everything in C:\Windows\Temp & C:\Windows\Prefetch & C:\Users\<USER THAT INSTALLED APP>\AppData\Local\Temp

That's what I did, and it worked.

If you got this without having installed something, then not sure what to suggest.

You can try doing a restore point.

1. Boot into safe mode with command prompt.
    2. YOu should be in the c:/windows/system32 directory. if nto, CD into it.'
    3. THen run rstrui.exe
    4. Select a restore point prior to when you were having the issue.

Hopefully this works for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice