1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows explorer/My computer doesn't open maximized

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jovanotti, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jovanotti

Jovanotti Thread Starter

Hello everybody.

I have recently installed Windows 7 32bit on my Core2Duo 8200, XFX 9600GT 512mb, Asus P5N-E, 4GB ram deck. Starting about 2 weeks ago, I've been stuck with the following issue :

Every time I boot and open windows explorer/my computer, it opens it in 1/2 size or so. I'm unable to get it to always open maximized and that is driving me crazy. The thing is - I feel the problem is affected by another program. For instance, I open windows explorer, maximize it by clicking the appropriate icon, work in a folder and then close it. If I open it again right away, it's maximized. If I let some time pass, use other programs, next time I open it - it's back to 1/2 size in about 90% of the cases, and opens maximized again in the other 10%. It might actually have something to do with running different programs in between the times I run the explorer/my computer windows. As if some of them tend to change my window size. :S That's kinda weird, since I only use the browser, MS office, a DC client my ISP supplies, Winamp, Adobe reader and a few games. Everything else starts maximized.

I have scanned my PC from safe mode with Spybot and Malwarebytes, and also Avast - all with the latest known spyware/virus bases. Everything was clean. Also, since I'm new to Win7, it might be that I'm just a noob who's unable to find a properties setting regarding folder size and appearance...

My browser, Firefox, opens maximized every time.

I've been unable to find a solution in the forum, and everybody seems to be having a similar problem - only browser-related. Tried to apply the fix for that issue to my problem - no dice.

Sorry if I've missed a thread with this particular problem, but I've tried looking it up - to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any constructive approaches/fixes to the problem.

2. Sponsor

3. Rockn

Rockn

First off after the installation did you verify that you have installed all of the drivers necessary for the computer to operate properly? It may well just be a video driver that did not get installed. Go to Control Panel > System and device manager. Look for any devices listed with a yellow exclamation mark.

4. Jovanotti

Jovanotti Thread Starter

All the drivers are up-to-date, I have no issues regarding semi-functional hardware, incomplete driver installations or anything like that. Everything else works fine, I get no performance issues, no other problems.

5. Dan O

Dan O

Try deleting the registery key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main /v Window_Placement

It often helps.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You could also try ...

Right click on Windows Explorer in the task bar - right click on Windows Explorer - select Properties - Shortcut tab - in the "Run" box select "Maximized."

If I may be so rude to ask--why do you want to do that? Screen very small?

7. Jovanotti

Jovanotti Thread Starter

Thank you all for taking interest in this.
    @Dan - I must stress that it is not related to "Internet explorer", since I haven't used it in years. It's just regular windows explorer/my computer.
    @TerryNet - The thing is : I always tend to work in maximized windows - helps me organize stuff and I like the way it looks. This way, I always have to maximize it manually, and that wasn't the case until approximately two weeks ago. It's just irritating, especially for someone with mild OCPD... :D

8. Jovanotti

Jovanotti Thread Starter

And now, as if I've been punished for nitpicking, one of my word documents did the same thing. Opened out half size, even though I had closed it as a fully maximized application. Dammit. Any other tips? I keep thinking it must be some spyware, but I reckon Spybot and Malwarebytes oughta have found it by now - ran 2 scans in safe mode, just today.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

As a workaround for Windows Explorer instead of maximizing it resize it to fill the screen and close it. It should reopen to the same size. Of course, I think what I suggested before should have worked.

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I would try the following registry tweak: MaximizeApps.

I've attached it to my post.

Unzip the fix and extract the .reg file to the desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

Attached Files:

11. Jovanotti

Jovanotti Thread Starter

With due respect, I don't wanna use any 3rd party software to pull this off. On the other hand, the same problem I had on windows explorer is affecting my Windows live messenger chat boxes. I haven't used WLM a few days, but it's the same thing. No matter if I maximize the chat window and then close it like that, it keeps popping up 1/5 size on every next WLM startup. Must be some spyware/malware I'm unable to detect with my current programs.

12. Phantom010

It's not third party software at all. It's a simple registry tweak that can be easily reverted.

It only adds the following DWORD Value to your registry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
    "MaximizeApps"=dword:00000001

If you want to revert back, simply change the 1 for a 0. Or, delete MaximizeApps.

13. Phantom010

Just accidentally stumbled upon a great little free application to do just what you're looking for! Just had to share! :)

For years, I was annoyed by Internet Explorer windows not opening maximized. The same for programs or Windows applications.

Now, with AutoSizer, it's an annoyance of the past!

It works silently in the background and takes very little memory. It does the job, finally! (y) :)

(Just remember to click on Hide to close the program's window)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023278