1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer Not Responding

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SRC2018, May 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRC2018

SRC2018 Thread Starter

Hi all, hope for some help. I am running Windows 7 Professional, on a Lenovo ThinkPad (E530) and I'm recently getting some lagging issues.

This machine and OS has always been very quick, but, of late, when working in folders and files, either on an external thumb drive or even with files on my hard drive, I get the blue "waiting" circle, and, up top, it says in brackets "not responding." It's happening when moving back and forth among folders, renaming or deleting a file, or simply navigating in the directory, and also at times when opening an Excel spreadsheet or Word document, or Adobe PDF, or even my Internet browser will freeze and say not responding.

The only recent change I made was related to initiating Windows Backup. I installed some software from Western Digital, for an external hard drive to use for my system image and file back up, which I do manually, once a week. It has seemed that, since installing that software from WD, is when the issues began, so I disabled it at Start Up. I have not tried totally removing it, and perhaps I should.

This freezing issue is not constant, which is also an irritation. All will run smooth and quick at times, and other times the lagging is constant for several minutes, and anything I am trying to do gives me a "not responding" message. I can't seem to pinpoint when or why it will happen with any certainty at all. Seems quite random.

I have run checks for spyware, antivirus, malware, etc, and have found no problems. The disk is not fragmented. I ran scannow and after running a verification process, I got the message, Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity errors.

Then, oddly, the next message was "for your" which seemed bizarre, and when I hit return again, after the C:\Windows\system32>, it said, "your was unexpected at this time" which just seems a weird sentence fragment.

So, I don't know if scannow was successful?

The lag time of "not responding" is not huge -- maybe up to seven to ten seconds, but it slows down my work, of course -- and eventually the program or process unfreezes and I can complete the task, but this new quirk is totally out of character for how my system usually runs, which is very quick and very smooth, so I'm concerned/annoyed and not sure what to do at this point.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks in advance.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, run System File Checker again as it can take 2-3 runs of system file checker, for all files to be repaired/replaced.
    ======
    Run CHKDSK (Check Disk)
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html
    Check Option Two
    Start Menu > Search box >Type
    cmd
    Click on Run as administrator.
    Type.
    chkdsk C: /R
    [C: being the drive that Windows is installed on - if a different drive letter, use it instead of C:]
    Press Enter.

How to check the log file.
    https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html
    ======
    Check and post
    TSG System Information Utility - found here.
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

3. SRC2018

SRC2018 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the reply! Sorry, have been out of town. For now, I uninstalled all Western Digital software, and my laptop is running as before. Also uninstalled some other programs I wasn't using.

I will definitely give your suggestions here a shot, as well, although I'm thinking it was something with the WD software, since the issue seemed to start after that install, and seems cured now that it's removed.

Again, thanks for your response.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice