1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer opens on every startup

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by aljem, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aljem

aljem Thread Starter

I have a problem every time I boot up, Windows Explorer opens on my desktop. It opens to display the contents of My Documents. I am running win me and have been through every thing listed in start up in the win config utility with no success. I have a freind running win xp who has the same problem only his opens to display the contents of his windows system32 folder. All you have to do is close the window to return to the desktop but its very annoying. Does anyone know what caused this and how do I make it stop??

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Aljem
    Welcome to TSG!
    When that happens it is generally caused by a conflict with a program that is starting up. The way to find that program is somewhat tedious but to my knowledge the only way.
    Go to start\run and type in msconfig and select the startup tab.

Now disable everything except Explorer, systray, pchealth, and *statemgr. Now restart your system. Windows should start faster and the window should not appear.
    Now go back to msconfig and add back in a group of four items at a time and restart. When the problem resurfaces then you have isolated the item to one of the four. Now you will have to disable three of the four and restart again until you have isolated which program is causing it. Once found you will have to delay the start of that program by leaving it disabled in the startup group and placing a shortcut to is in C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder.

Norton internet security Iamapp.exe was notorious for this problem.

Let us know if that helps you.

Dave

3. aljem

aljem Thread Starter

Dave... I have tired one by one disabling everything in the start up group and still can't stop it from opening

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Aljem
    Does this event happen when you enter safemode?
    If it does not then it is an interference between programs. Check and see if Safemode is OK. If it is then you have to Start over with just the ones I mentioned above and see if it does it. If not then add them back in using logical groups if possible. Antivirus first, then Microsoft programs and so on.

Dave

PS: It took me a bit of time to locate Imapp as the problem. this was even before Norton listed it as a problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice