1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows explorer problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bbutcher85, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbutcher85

bbutcher85 Thread Starter

When I try to open windows explorer (right click on start, left click on explore) It opens a window in the startup folder, but the window is displayed somewhere outside the margins of my monitor and cannot be located. Maximize, minimize, restore do not locate it. I can however Open all users or Explore all users. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. pip22

pip22

Try altering the display resolution to a higher value.

3. geek-assist

geek-assist

i don't think the problem is with the resolution. Even if he is on a low resolution, the computer will fit everything in the monitor's screen. Although the text will be highly enlarged or magnified

4. bbutcher85

I am at 1280 X 1024 now, and that is the highest resolution my monitor will allow. I am using a LCD HD TV as a monitor. The problem started shortly after my motherboard video output died and I installed a PCI video card. Not immediate, but I think I might have hit some weird key combination when it occured.

5. geek-assist

geek-assist

Hi there, The resolution you should be getting is 1920X1080P, I mean that's the resolution every HDTV Does support,

Can you give us the following details?
    1) Size of the HDTV
    2) Make and model
    3) What port are you using to connect it? (VGA, DVI or HDMI?)

Also, can you take a Screen Shot of your current status and attach it here?

6. bbutcher85

Thank you for your assistance. The HDTV is a Memorex MLTD3222 and is a 32 inch model. I am using the VGA port connected to an ATI Technologies Rage XL PCI video board. The next highest resolution available on the Rage XL board is 1600 X 1200 which is not supported by the TV. I don't think resolution is the problem. If I start Windows in the safe mode, explorer works fine. In normal mode however I get the same result regardless of my resolution. When I click on Explore I see the Start Menu folder jumps somewhere on the screen. The missing folder appears on my task bar, and if I click to select it, I see 3 or 4 images of what looks like just the top blue bar quickly jump from about the top mid screen to the lower right of the monitor, never stopping. I think I may have pressed some strange combination of keys that caused the folder to be zero size or something. If I have only one instance of the Start Menu folder on the task bar, I only have 3 right click options, Restore, Close, or either Maximize or Minimize depending on my last operation. Clicking on Close closes the folder, but Restore has no effect, and Maximize will result in only Minimize being displayed and vice-versa. If I have two instances of the Start Menu folder on the task bar, then the second instance allows both Move and Size when right-clicked. Left clicking on either of these options changes the cursor to a crossed set of arrows, but I have not found any combination that displays the folder normally. I assume by a screen shot you mean an image taken using Alt-Prt Scr key and pasted into an image program. I did this just after selecting the Start Menu, and the image is an open folder of size 710 X 598 pixels as shown below. It appears the image is either invisible or off screen?? I tried adjusting the horizontal and vertical size on the monitor until I see black bands at the edges, but still no folder.

Bob

Attached Files:

7. bbutcher85

I am attaching an images, taken with a camera, showing the folder moving across the screen as it is clicked on. Sorry for the poor focus, but it shows the effect anyway.

Bob

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice