1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows explorer problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MaGlC_MaN, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaGlC_MaN

MaGlC_MaN Thread Starter

my windows explorer has been messing up a lot lately, and ive noticed that i can never get .wmv and such to work when someone sends me one. it's like windows media player pops up to play it then it gets an error and says that the error occurs here..
    C:\DOCUME~1\Trey\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER21.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

sometimes an error will just happen when i'm browsing through a folder with media files..

i have a Dell Dimension 8100 and i'm running windows xp professional

thx for any help

2. Pancake

Pancake

3. rude

rude

Sounds to me like a codec problem

4. MaGlC_MaN

MaGlC_MaN Thread Starter

thx pancake for the help but i couldn't get any of those to work for me. does anyone know anything else that might work?

5. viperben1

viperben1

all i would say is that if its a windows media player problem try uninstalling it in ad remove programs and reinstall it again from the microsoft site after downloading the full install file. dont use windows updates as this could have been your problem. this should solve it.

the link to the download is
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx

hope this works

6. MaGlC_MaN

MaGlC_MaN Thread Starter

i already have a ton of windows updates/hotfixes, i've been thinking about reinstalling them and seeing if that works. but the problem isn't just a windows media player problem. i read on another forum to try to make a new windows xp user profile and delete the current one so i tried that and when i tried to delete the profile the same error came up.

when i go to uninstall windows media player, i don't see it on the add/remove programs. is there a certain window update/hotfix i should uninstall to do this?

i also read that a system restore might work. i tried this twice and it said it was unable to do it both times. i don't know what's up with my computer, i really don't wanna format it.

7. rude

rude

Do you know what kind of files are causing the problems...avi,DivX or...? If you can find out the file type we will find the correct codec for you.Failing that,I have a pack that I could email to you that will enable you to view almost any movie file.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218863

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice