Windows Explorer random closing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CaptainChaos

I have scanned & saved hundreds of family photos and am trying to reorder them so I don't have duplicates etc. etc.

When doing this, I get the "Windows Explorer has enountered a problem & has to close". I click "ok" and it closes and then comes back with the normal home screen (all icons present & correct). If I try to do the same file reordering, it does it again, so I can't finish what I started.

I understand that the most likely cause is a shell extension somewhere causing this to happen.

I have the shellxview programme which comes up with over 100 shell extensions. It was also suggested to disable some of them & see if that solves the problem.

1) Can I disable ALL of them & enable them one by one, or will that just stop my computer working?
2) Which ones are more likely to cause this problem?
3) I also get Explorer closing when I go into a folder with avi's in it. Is this related, do you think?

Any help & idiots guide will help greatly, thanks!

Ian

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts