1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer shortcut - target attributes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bluewing, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluewing

bluewing Thread Starter

In XP SP3, I want to change the Windows Explorer shorcut target by adding some attributes. I have been able to do so in the past but now XP is not allowing it.
    I want to change the default target so it reads : %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,c:/ but Windows says the addition of the attributes makes the target unacceptable.

Is there a setting or a switch that is preventing the change? Is this related to XP SP3 as opposed to SP2? I've made the change in XP SP2 in the past.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Try: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,c:\

If that does not work try creating a desktop shortcut using the setting.

3. bluewing

bluewing Thread Starter

No joy, Dan-O. I've tried reversing the last slash and eliminating it. Windows still won't accept it. And...yes, I've already created a shortcut on the desktop, which is where I'm trying to make the attribute change. I don't think it's the content of the attributes, but something that prevents any attribute change. Dunno

4. moper

moper

If it's the C drive that you want expanded, I find that just %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e works.
    Or put a space between , and C

moper

5. bluewing

bluewing Thread Starter

Thanks moper,
    Your comment got me thinking. I took a look at the text you provided and realized I was missing a space. I needed a space here: %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe * /n,/e,c:/ (between exe and the first slash. Like they say, "the devil is in the details."
    I do appreciate the reply. Heaven knows how long it would've taken me to sort it out if you hadn't posted that text. (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice