1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows Explorer slowing down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Katink, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

When I start up my computer the Windows Explorer acts with normal speed. After working with it (no difference wether it is just looking through folders or moving, copying or deleting files) for a few minutes it slows down.
    Opening any folderthen takes a long time; and if you delete or move things you just have to wait áges before you can move along again with what you were doing.
    Cleaning out the dustbin is a job that takes even more time.

Does anyone know what could be wrong ?
    Btw I have a P3-500; 320 Ram; 98 SE.

Thanks for any reply !

2. RSM123

RSM123

Welcome to TSG :)

Firstly may I suggest you try doing doing a full scan disk and then defrag. If necessary start in safe mode to perform these tasks - that way nothing will be running that might otherwise disrupt the processes.

Have you had any other problems with the pc itself ? Any signs of overheating ? Have you checked inside the case and cleared any dust ? Are the fans running properly ?

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I would first pull the cover off of the computer and make sure that the processor fan is actually working. Have you installed a new operating system lately? When you say "a few minutes" can you be more exact? Is that two minutes, 10 minutes? 30 minutes? Sounds more like a hardware problem but could also be fragmentation, spyware, and/or viruses. Also check the memory. You can do this by downloading Aida32 ;)

4. skyman

skyman

Also, run your antivirus scan and see if there is a problem there.

5. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!
    RSM123: full scandisk gives 'no faults' or 'repaired any faults that were there' whenever I do it (last time about a week ago)(but this makes no difference for explorer).
    I defrag every 2 or at the most 3 days so that should be okay I think. Using Diskkeeper though, because my OS-defragger is and always has been completely unusable. Took literally dáys to defrag; when I clocked 76 hours for it (working in safe-mode too) I got so disgusted that I changed programs (after also finding at Microsoft-knowledgebase that indeed a small portion of the 98SE's showed this fault)(so I assumed I was one of those 'lucky ones'; it has álways been this way, and explorer hasn't, so I think those two 'slow' problems aren't related; but then who am I, certainly not a wizkid...). Now defrag takes no more than 5-10 minutes; so no slow-performance there.

I don't know the signs of overheating; could it really be that ? Other programs work at a normal speed though, it is just explorer: could that still fit into this cause then? At least one fan is working; and indeed I have to get dust (and hairs, even worse) out on a regular base, with a big hairy dog often lying just beside the computercase (and not really having another place for that case)(or the dog :) ). I would like to put some filter or something like that in de incoming air-opening; but I don't really dare to do that, I thought then there might really be overheating. Or could I install an extra fan and thén do this? What do you think?

This computer generally: I have never found it to be very stable. At all. Had 'blue screens' (and black ones...) on a very regular base when I just got it, not new btw (and often a lot of things disrupted and corrupted then too). After doing a couple of things (once I got onto internet) this got better; still not completely okay though. First I got rid of (using) as much microsoft programs as possible; that helped considerably. Specially Internet Explorer véry often messed things up I found (and the more I updated it at microsoft, the more messing-up it became). Then I got a new harddisk (kept the old one in along with it): helped noticably also. Then I got rid of Norton: again a véry noticable upgrade in over-all performance.

Wet Chicken: see above for the fan. With windows explorer I am talking about two to maybe three minutes when it's really bad (it adds up though; first few seconds extra, then more, then minutes; restarting the computer brings it back to normal then it starts adding up again).
    I haven't installed a new OS (but then re-installed this one quite a number of times; along with repartitioning and of course formatting; this if things really got badly corrupted by internal faults. After doing all the things mentioned above I have been able to use the machine for a few months now without any of that anymore though; a record so far).
    As for viruses or spyware: I use Zone-Alarm, Antivir, Spybot, Adaware. Before finding these programs (and with Norton 2003 security still on it) I had really bad things on the computer; after these changes I hardly ever get anything bad in anymore, and security-check-sites rate the setup I have now as excellent (and also different virus- or spyware check-sites don't find anything anymore). So that end looks solved now I think ?
    Thanks for the suggestion of Aida32, I will certainly try it although at the back of my mind I seem to remember I've tried this a number of months ago, but it wouldn't install or something like that (will try again though). Do you happen to have a link to it ?

Skyman: done this, nothing to be found.

Information that also might help: I've only got onto the internet since half a year, and I got this machine about a year ago. All those black- and blue-screens on véry regular base happened in that first half year; so that couldn't be related to internet I think (though the owner before me díd use internet; so I can't rule leftovers from that out completely even if I started out by formatting, f-disk and the lot). Maybe it also helps if I tell, that this before-owner also had móre RAM in it (I think something like 600) and took out part of it before passing on the computer to me ? And also maybe worth mentioning: his reason for getting rid of this computer was, that he kept being viciously attacked by hackers or other 'enemies' and he thought he could get rid of these attacks by getting rid of the computer. Maybe what got onto my computer the very first days I was on internet (despite Norton firewall and anti-virus) has something to do with this; but then again I was then a compléte internet-dummy so it could easilly have been my own doing too.

Well: I started out asking about windows-explorer; but wouldn't it be lóvely if you could help making this computer run flawlessly alltogether...:) Anyhow thanks a lot for your reactions so far; hope for some more:) .

6. pgriffet

pgriffet

Do you have by chance IE6 ?
    It seems that some Win98+IE6 are acting weird, not in IE but more in Explorer, when deleting/moving large files or a lot of files.

take a look here for more information

http://www.aumha.org/elist/trenches.htm

7. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Check to make sure that your fan is running. If it is then you're "probably" not overheating. OK are you talking about Explorer (explorer.exe) or Internet Explorer? Two different programs ;)

If it's IE then check for spyware. First download spybot>update>run. Then reboot and download AdAware>update and run AdAware. Then go to your control panel and click on Add/Remove Software and click on IE and the "Remove" button. It will open up a new menu. Choose the Repair option and reboot. Life should be good again :D

8. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

Wet Chicken: I use adaware and spybot quite regularly (though I hardly find anything anymore for some months now) so I'm afraid that won't help in this case.
    It is explorer.exe that is causing problems. And one fan is running for sure.
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions though.

However, I think you pgriffet might be hitting the nail on the head here !:)
    I went to the link you gave me. And you know what; I also have the exact same óther problem that is mentioned there (empty not-loading frames and windows when using IE).
    And it also fits in wonderfully with what I had allready discovered: that things seemed to get worse and worse whenever I updated IE6.

So I'm going back to IE 5.5 now as mentioned (hope I can do that getting rid of áll IE 6 without complete new install...).

Also it's great to know I'm not so weird-minded after all:rolleyes: ; lots of people have allready told me it could nót, no way, be any microsoft-program that was causing at least some of my problems...
    Thanks people here: I'll come back to tell if this solution really worked out for me. Hope so !

9. Katink

Katink Thread Starter

I promised to report back, so here I am.
    It took some time, I'm afraid: it turned out that visiting TSG for some help with my problems was very near the end of áll problems for my computer...

I did load IE 5.5; and had about an hours worth of enjoying a much faster computer (including explorer; a difference of day and night!).

And then after doing some other things and starting up the computer again: forget it. Nothing at all happened.

The computer ended up in a repairshop. And I was told four things were okay: 2 harddrives and 2 CD-drives. Nothing else could be found that was still working. Motherbaord, powersupply, diskdrive, video- and networkcards and all the rest: all of them were beyond repair.

The cause they found: a mouse in my computer ! :rolleyes:
    That (or it's droppings that caused a chemical reaction) had caused the power-supply to start fluctuating badly; and that caused a sudden chain of malfunctioning and breaking down of other parts.

So add another possible cause of malfunctioning to your lists when helping people here...

Some wonderful friends came to visit carrying a new computer along: so here I am again. Hopefully with a lot less computer-problems !

Thanks to everyone that kindly had suggestions for me: I was well on the way to a nice-working computer because of those so there were certainly very helpfull suggestions. Thanks !

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice